MIL Anyone here have experience with the Army ROTC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by joonboy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

I'm currently a junior and beginning to look at colleges. I'm interested in the Army ROTC program and most definitely will join/enroll in it when I go to college.

If anyone here went through with the Army ROTC program or know anything about it, please post your experience/knowledge

:bigthumb:

2. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

hey man, what do you want to know?

3. I do Army ROTC at Johns Hopkins University, ask me what you want to know and I will answer.

I suppose I can ramble about some things. Our Cadre/staff is awesome. I have learned so much in the semester that I have been here. I chose this over Marine Corps summer OCS thing because this fits me best. I love my experience so far and as soon as I finish the mountain of paper work I am going to contract.

The camaraderie is at a level I have not experienced before.

That is not to say that everyone is great friends and that everyone is nice. It is just like any organization. You will run into assholes, you will make good friends etc.

4. deh310

glad you are enjoying it, what year are you?

5. MSII

6. deh310

sweet man

7. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

SMP seems like a sweetass deal if you ask me, i wish i would have taken it

8. deh310

i did SMP, it was a good deal

9. shiba

shiba Active Member

Its ok. Definately make sure to keep your GPA above a 3.5 to get your branch though.

10. deh310

yea im gonna have to disagree with you on this one, needs of the army brother

11. Wish my GPA was above 3.5 ahaha.

12. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Don't really understand much of what you guys said...

Can you guys explain how the program works? When I apply to college, do I let them know I want to join the ROTC program there or do I find the ROTC program and contact them independently?

How will the classes work? Do I just live my life and go to classes until the summer then I'm obligated to the ROTC program?

How does the army treat ROTC officers? Are they looked down upon by others? Are the majority of officers in the army former ROTC? I want to go infantry - will I have a good chance or will I be assigned to some other shit?

What does trhe ROTC program entail?

What about financial aid? What can I expect to get from the gov't?

(I've a 90 GPA and 1380 verbal and math SAT)

13. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

I'll post more questions as I think of them

14. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Do ROTC programs differ at different colleges? Which schools within the Northeast/New England/all of Eastern US area have good army ROTC programs?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  15. shiba

shiba Active Member

I agree with you where its based on needs of the army, But certain branches like aviation only take people from the top 25% of the OML. Plus if you decide to ADSO, your chances go up significantly.

16. shiba

shiba Active Member

Usually independent, You can tell them your interest in the ROTC program and they might be able to point you in the right direction but you're most likely going to have to find the program by yourself. Also not every school has ROTC on campus so you might need to seek out a school near yours to join ROTC.

Class is class, you sit there and learn about the fundamental soldier and leadership skills. Its usually a 2 hour class and a 2 hour lab depending on the school.

The first two years of ROTC is basically a long drawn out version of the first two weeks of basic training. You learn the army values and basic soldier skills with some cool stuff thrown in here and there. If you are prior service and a junior in college, then you have the option of skipping these 2 years and going straight to MSIII year. If you are a 2nd semester sophomore and with to sign up, you would have to go to LTC which is a fluffy version of basic then go straight into MSIII year when you're back at school.

During your third year, you will need to contract with ROTC which binds you to the program. They will then prepare you all year for LDAC which is a summer camp to test your ROTC knowledge.

They have this 1.5 year program now where you can come in the second semester of your junior year and contract with ROTC. You would have to go to LTC and LDAC that same summer or they would push your LDACC to the following summer and you would commission straight out of camp.

Cadets are officers. If you are in a reserve of guard unit, they will place you in a platoon leader position or as an assistant to some officer O-3 and under. Since you are not a full officer, being called sir or getting a salute is highly optional for you.

There are alot of ROTC officers in the army but I'm not sure if the majority of them came from ROTC.

Like I said earlier, you must get a high ranking in the OML to be even considered for certain branches. Your gpa counds for 40% so it is in your best interest to keep your GPA high. I believe Infantry only considers the top 50% on the OML but it changes from year to year.

You can get a scholarship from ROTC but thats about it.

17. I work at the police station on my campus and my boss was Army and told me that a lot of ROTC officers come in and try to run the show but don't know shit. If you are all about being infantry and you want to be an officer and you come in LEARN FROM YOUR NCOs. I can imagine your NCOs yelling at you as a fresh officer from ROTC if you fuck up.

If you want to contract you can contract and they will pay for your schooling, and send you a monthly stipend. Our program is something like $300-350 for MSII, $4-450 for MSIII, and $500 for MSIV.

EDIT: Also I am going to LTC this summer and I am trying to contract this semester before I leave. Our major wants me to contract. I swear I would rather do PT then fill out this paperwork.

18. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

19. Changed

Changed Guest

Is there a certain amount of credits you can have to do the LTC? I have been looking around my schools ROTC site, and came upon the LTC section. I've been considering my options for post-graduation, and I think I am going to join the military. Is the LTC like a crash course ROTC program, where everything is accelerated and they pound you into the ground?

I emailed my local guy asking him these questions, but he hasn't responded.

20. shiba

shiba Active Member

the point of LTC is to teach you basic soldier skills and retain you in the military. Its not bootcamp where they break you down and build you back up. In order to do LTC, you must be at least second semester sophomore. Its not done by credit, but more of when your expected graduation date is.

21. Changed

Changed Guest

alright, maybe this guy is just on vacation and will get back to me on Monday :hsugh:

I need something to do this summer :x:

22. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

When/how do I go about applying for the Army ROTC program?

I want to receive the 4 year scholarship as well (is that a good idea?)

23. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Should I wait til I'm accepted to the college of my choice before I join the ROTC program there?

So there is an actual class taught on college premises for the ROTC program?
    So basically I just go to class on weekdays? Any weekend obligations? Anything else?

How long is the LDAC? What kind of knowledge is learned/tested?
    What is the OML? If I do well enough in the program, can I make sure I get infantry?

24. joonboy

joonboy thanks jennipher

Year 1 : ROTC classes

Year 2 : ROTC classes

Year 3 : Contract, LDAC in the summer

Year 4 : ???

After college : Years 1 - 3 : Active duty

Is that what I can expect?

25. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Alot is going to depend on where you go to school. If you go to one of the senior military colleges then what you do while in ROTC might be alot more.

ie: required to live in specific dorms for ROTC which you will be in a military environment constantly and have to adhere to whatever rules and regulations they have in place.