GUN Anyone here have an OH ccw?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Aug 10, 2006.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I've been kicking around the idea of getting my concealed carry, but I'm trying to figure out if it's really worth it with all of the BS stipulations that Ohio has. If anyone here has an OH permit, what are your thoughts on it? Worth it, and deal with stupid laws, or just forget it and don't carry?

2. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

to be honest, i don't think ive seen a store w/o those damn little stickers saying "No Concealed Carry". The firearm does you no good sitting in your car. if you want to get it, go for it, one of my classmates passed the class pretty easily. But i don't see the point if you cant use it to it's fullest degree.

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I don't know the laws, but in most states, it's not against the law for you to carry in those places, it's just the store's decision to not want that in there. For the exception of the obvious, court house, municipal buildings, federal, state, and local government buildings, and banks, i'm pretty sure it's not agains the law. But the store owner has the right to kick you out for tresspassing if they find out you're carrying

4. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Locations Prohibited To Carry Concealed Weapons Under The Ohio CCW Law:

A licensee may carry a concealed weapon anywhere in Ohio, except for the specific places and circumstances listed below:
    Police station, Sheriff's office, state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, state correctional institution, jail, workhouse or Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction Facility and other detention facilities.

Airport Terminal

State institution for the care and treatment of mentally ill or retarded individuals.

Within a school safety zone

Courthouses or building where courthouse is located.

Any room or open air arena where liquor is dispensed.

Any premises owned or leased by a public or private college, university or institution of higher learning, unless the weapon is locked in a motor vehicle.

A church, synagogue, mosque, or place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque or place of worship posts or permits otherwise.

Child day-care center or family day-care home. However, this does not restrict the licensee residing in a home day care residence from carrying a concealed weapon in parts of the home not dedicated or used for the day care purposes.

Aircraft

Any building owned or leased by the state of Ohio or political subdivision of the state of Ohio.

Any place where federal law prohibits weapons.

Any location and/or property where it is posted with a sign that no dangerous weapons are permitted on these premises, even if you have a valid license to carry such weapon(s).

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I have one, I live in Cincinnati. We have a few places posted, but not as many as you guys up north do. There is no doubt our CCW law is one of the most restrictive in the country, if Strickland becomes the governor don't expect it to be fixed it. Personally, I can't wait to move out of this fucked up state.

jeepilot,

If you carry into a posted place here, it's a felony. If a business posts in their parking lot, you can't carry in their parking lot either. We also can't carry in any place with a class D liquor license, which effectively bans every non-fast food restaurant in the state. You also must keep your firearm in plain sight while driving in a car. The Ohio law freaking sucks.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It gives you more rights than you had before.... why not get it? Plus, it will show that people are interested in protecting themselves.

But yes, if you carry into a place that has a sign posted, that's trespassing.

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Not in Ohio, it's an automatic felony.

8. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Yeah, Ohio laws on it are completely screwed up. I might get it just to be a statistic, and rarely go through the headache of actually carrying.

9. Phx Cobra

Phx Cobra OT Supporter

Correct me if im wrong, but in AZ it isn't tresspassing unless you refuse to leave/disarm when they ask you to.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it's if a reasonable request is made. A sign counts as a reasonable request.

11. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

I'd been wanting to get mine, but my work building has one of those stickers on all the doors. If I'm not at work I'm at the bars, a baseball game, or on university property, I'd never be able to carry :mad:

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Why bother? Sure it gives you a few more rights but imo it opens you up to getting fried. What if you walk into a store where it's posted but you don't see the sign? Sure people will say that your gun is concealed and no one should know that you have it but what in the fuck is the point of having it if you can't use it without getting a guaranteed felony? It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 :mb:. Laws like that need to be fixed. I wonder if off duty cops are held to the same standard there?

13. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

:dunno: if they are that is retarded

14. Gimik

Gimik New Member

In AZ a lot of the laws have LEO exceptions for CCW.

15. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

In Ohio off duty LEO's must follow the same rules as regular CCW holders, that came straight from the state attorney general.

Since the Ohio Highway Patrol throws a temper tantrum every time someone tries to fix the shitty law I think it's quite fitting. They should have to live with the same ridiculous restrictions just like everyone else.

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Well they'd know better than any of us that the police will always be there to save the day amirite?

17. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

so damn dumb, just like "warning, dangerous" labels on chainsaws

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

whats the point? every fucking place you go has a gay sticker on the door :ugh: