Anyone here have a jeep cherokee?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr X, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Mr X

Mr X Guest

Im thinking about picking up a 98 cherokee sport/classic. any problems with 'em?

2. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

My wife has a 98 Cherokee Classic that we got with 0 miles on it. POS!!! It's our second Jeep, and we'll never buy another. Nothing major has gone wrong yet, but it's starting to nickel and dime us to death. Mostly electrical problems. The engine cuts out when making left turns when the gas tank is empty (according to the MENSA's at the Jeep dealership, that's normal and it happens to ALL cars). I wouldn't buy another Jeep unless I got a ridiculously good deal.

3. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

All Chryslers have fuel pump problems. I had bad one on my Grand too.

Just look out for the common stuff like leaks, gear whine, dieseling sound(common for i-6), if it's 4x4 see if it's working(ask owner or whomever if it's ever been in 4wd mode...if never been could be a problem...binding), etc...

Anywho...ZJ's oWnz yu:bigthumb:

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Any Cherokee is better than the Liberty IMO...

I've always wanted a previous body style Cherokee, preferbly the "classic" before they remodled it in 1998. There are tons of them running around here from 1984 to the newest ones and parts are plentiful for making them a major trail machine.

Personally I'm a little tall for the Cherokee, so in the winter time I depend on my '87 Grand Wagoneer when the going gets rough.

:)

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I don't know alot about Jeeps or Cherokees but my boss's wife had a Grand Cherokee and he told me they were notorious for tranny problems.

6. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

Been there done that.:rolleyes:

7. Pospodo

Pospodo came for the pron but stayed for teh lulz

I've got a '99 w/ 30k on it... I've never had any problems with it. I think it's a lot of bang for the buck.

8. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I have a '00 and my dad has a '01. Neither of us have any major problems. I also went wheelin' with a couple others on Sat. and none of them had problems either.
    I would say get it. Plus the Cherokee is considered the first SUV btw.

9. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

my friend has a 96 with a lil over 100k on it and its still going strong, only had to do basic maintance on it

10. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I have the upcountry on my '00. I find it rides pretty much the same if not better than one without. The reason I am saying it rides the same is because the springs might be slightly stiffer, however there is no rear sway bar which balances that out.

11. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well I also like it stiffer, if I buy a truck (Jeep), I want it to ride like one. If I wanted a barcalounger I would buy one. Plus being stiffer helps it corner better.

12. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Well I don't know if you were directing that at me or not. However, I love the way my XJ rides, truck-like or not.

13. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

*bzzt*
    wrong. 1967 Ford Bronco :)

14. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Yes, I meant the first modern SUV. I have nothing against EB's though, they are very capable machines.

15. LiquidSmile

LiquidSmile I gotta go potty

16. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

I didn't read the other replies, but I've had mine for a couple weeks now (95 w/ 40k miles on it) and I couldn't be happier!

17. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

*bzzt* Wrong.

1963 Jeep Wagoneer.

The 1984 Cherokee was the first compact SUV to offer four doors, which made it an instant hit for American Motors. One of Jeep's hottest sellers was the original XJ Cherokee.