A&P Anyone here have a gallery show before? Halp?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I've been offered a gallery opening and show at a retail store here in Philly for my film noir set....

Apparently, every month they have a new gallery opening and show for a local artist they like, and sell the work, books, postcards, etc....

It appears one of the instructors here at the school knows the art director that puts together the shows, and showed them my little web gallery, and the art director called me and asked me if I would do the show...

I'm all :noes: right now.

I have no clue where to begin. What to print, how big, what sizes, how much $$, matting, framing, post cards, books, Oh MY!

Good news is the show isn't til January.

So what the hell. How do I do this?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

No idea what to tell you, but congrats :h5:

3. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

I do shows pretty regularly...

Some things I wish someone would have shared with me...

work out any commissions first and get a contract put togather, they probably have a standard one that they use.

Do print post cards and give them to friends and relatives random handouts don't usually work well, I've never had much luck relying on the gallery alone to promote me.

Talk with some people over at the store and find out what has sold for them in the past. They can usually give you some good info.

Find out what price points sell there, that will help to determine what size you should be printing at.

Don't sell to cheap! its tempting to sell because its exciting. I actually lost sales at my first show because people equate price with value/quality. I raised my prices and recived a far better response at the next show.

Look around the space to get a feeling of the wall space/fixture layout of the shop. It can really affect what size print you should be making. It will also determine how many pieces you should have ready.

Take walk down to the local art district as well and look at how they are displaying pieces. If you can find a successfull one stop in and talk with them.

Frame all of your images consistantly (color frame style) it makes your work look more professional. Personal preference, I like at least a 3 inch mat border on all of my gallerry pieces. I also like to avoid metal frames, many people percive them as cheap.

off the top of my head....

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thanks!! :cool:

You rock man. I can't thank you enough.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

good advice, thanks :)

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

From a news and advertising background:

Write, or have someone else write, a press release for the show. No matter how small the gallery or how humble you are, you need to get people TO the show. I would suggest a one page release with some background on you, a quote from one or more people that know and like your work and of course the location, times and what will be included in the show. Next, send this to every damn place you can find. From high school, community college and university newspapers to big dailies and local magazines. Alternative press will be a driving force too ie weeklies, gay and lesbian publications and college campus newsletters.

I know it's cheesy, but get Web 2.0! Signup for a Myspace, Facebook, Twitter etc that is dedicated specifically to the show. Include the who, whats, wheres, why etc. Next step is find all the local photographers, artist, restaurants, alternative newspapers and blogs and send them links and invitations and friend requests.

Also, i would create some fliers and post that shit in as many places as you can a month or so prior to the show.

Seriously, I have seen tremendous artists' shows go nowhere because nobody knew about them and shitty artists' shows go wild and sell out because some one put a few days worth of advertising.

And remember, the more people you have come in and out of a gallery, coffee shop or whatever the more inclined they will be to having you back upon request and other galleries knowing who you are.

Remember: Don't be humble. Make the people believe in you and your work and they will come and they will buy.

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

That's pretty sweet and well deserved, Congrats! :cool: