Anyone here have a comic book subscription?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GlassJoe, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GlassJoe

GlassJoe New Member

How do they send them? I like to keep things like that in near-mint condition, and I don't want to subscribe if they put a stamp or a sticker with my address directly on the comic.

2. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Check out www.midtowncomics.com. I'm setting up an account with them- I'll be in the city on August 8th to do it personally. A buddy of mine already has his subscriptions with them and they ship them at a discount and with backing boards and storage bags.

3. I had one, decades ago, where DC would just send them wrapped in brown paper (the top & bottem not even sealed-I'm surprised I got them all)

It was a gift from my mom

Hopefully they do it better now

4. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

That's the closest you'll probably get.....near mint condition.

I also got a comic or two in the mail, when it was shipped they used a hard backed shipping envelope.

But IMHO there's just too many things that can go wrong. Sure the seller is probably gonna do everything they can do deliver the comic in pristine shape. But I just don't trust those delivery couriers (UPS I'm looking straight at you).

But that's only for individual issues....I'm sure bulk sales are a totally different (and safer) story.

5. rehab

rehab New Member

Back when i collected i always just went to the local store and set up an "account" with them. As soon as they recieved their shipments they went through it and pulled out all the ones you told them they wanted and would hold them till you came to get them. I get the city of heroes comic in the mail just for having a COH account and everytime they are all jacked up when i get them.

6. 0wn3d_productivity

Well, I used to do that until the jackasses that ran the store would forget to pull any one shots or special series I wanted, then I'd be stuck getting 2nd printings.

7. rehab

rehab New Member

damn that sucks, i had that happen a few times but the guys i went to where usually pretty good at pulling the ones i wanted. Have you had any luck with mail subscriptions?

8. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I just always got mine pulled. The guys at the shop I go to are really good when it comes to pulling stuff for me. A few times they pulled stuff that I didn't even ask for but wanted anyway. I guess it just depends on the quality of the shop.

9. 0wn3d_productivity

I just started up with midtowncomics.com. My friend was really impressed with their service/ condition of comics when they arrive.

10. rehab

rehab New Member

:werd: Definately, get to know the guys and they will hook you up with stuff they think you might like.

11. baboymo

Speaking of comic books is anyone looking for the first 13 Spawn's? I have them in Fair condition of anyone needs em.

12. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

No, it gets shipped in a waterproof wrapping, but you would come out better finding a store near you to pull them for you. That's what I opted to do recently, as I don't trust my mail carrier... The books now get handled by people who understand proper comic protocol, and I get to pick them up at my leisure.

13. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I also think getting on good terms with your local comic book shop is a good idea.

14. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Yup! My total is always like $150, and I never pay more than $100. And I get birthday cards in my box that say things like "$35 off" and such. Not to mention if a new book starts that he knows I'll want, he adds it to my box list without my having to tell him.

15. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Exactly.

16. baboymo

I haven't been to "local" comic book shop since the early 90's. :hs:

So many fond memories of Comic Zone come to mind. :wtc: