Anyone here game with a plasma? How is it?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by JakobwithaK, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

Im thinking about picking up a 50'' Plasma since theyre dirt cheap now and putting it in my room, most likely a panasonic. Ive always prefered the pic quality of plasmas over LCDs but burn in was always a problem back then. Now that its not with the newer models and hearing from many people that its safe to game on the newer plasmas :bigthumb:

I have a feeling once you go plasma you wont ever go back to LCD. :naughty:

2. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

I'm told that Plasma is better but if you're moving around a lot (ie college student) go with an LCD because of the size.

3. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I went there to get my dad a LCD and the difference in blacks in between LCDs and Plasmas are not existent. Both look the same.

4. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

I own a 42 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma. Quality is fucking awesome but.... while playing games, if you leave the screen still for a long time it still does burn ins, granted it wears out after an hour and looks fine again.

5. JakobwithaK

Bro judging TVs in store is the worst thing you could do cause they're never calibrated properly and the stores lighting throws things off. Plasma still beats any LCDs for black levels especially for the price. That's pretty much the only reason why I got an LCD 3yrs ago cause it didn't burn in otherwise I would easily have gone panasonic plasma.

6. JakobwithaK

How old is your tv? Have you tried doing the white out feature exclusive on plasmas?

7. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Well 3 years ago, I would've easily noticed. In fact, my LCD is three years old and while the black levels on it are crap (like 800:1), this Samsung LCD has 40000:1 :eek3:

Still, I love my Westinghouse.:wiggle:

8. AKing

my tv is a month old from purchase, its a march or may 2009 model i believe. When i mean't leaving something paused on your tv for a while, i mean only 20 - 30 mins. It will burn in around that time. But like i said, it goes away after awhile.

9. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

I have a X1 Panasonic. Got it in July. I game on it all the time. I was kinda worried at first but any IR I get (from life bars or whatever) isn't even noticeable after I switch to TV or whatever even right after playing. If I put it on a blank signal right after playing I can see some IR but it don't last long. Probably never went longer then about 3 hours at a time though with stuff like that. I tried that white scrolling bar just for the hell of it once but I have not found it necessary at all.

In short, have had it all summer and when I switch to a blank screen after watching a little TV there is no burn in that I can see. I don't even worry about it anymore.

10. AKing

wtf does that even do? I just tired it on my tv.

11. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

I game on my panasonic plasma all the time, leaving still images and what not and never had any problems. The lack of input lag makes it better than lcd for gaming.

12. juvental604

evens the pixels out incase of burn in. Theres also a pixel rotator built into newer sets to prevent burn in.

13. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Samsung LCD's have game mode so there is no input lag.
    Plasmas black levels are much better than LCD's but they get to hot for my liking so i went with an LCD

14. juvental604

I cant complain about free heat in the winter. My set doesnt seem to be hot with 5 fans running behind it. But yeah if its for the bedroom you might want to reconsider.

15. blackrat

blackrat Active Member

I use a plasma for my current gen systems. No problems with burn in. My background picture for both systems has very bright orange and red spots and I'll leave it on for 30 or 40 minutes while I'm playing music or downloading something. Any image retention goes away as soon as you get a new image on screen. No problems with games like GTA4 (constant bright HUD) either. It's a non issue.

I have an LCD in my room that I use for the PS2 and GC, never noticed anything when it comes to lag, but I don't play rhythm games on those systems either.

When it comes to PQ I prefer a plasma. The LCD gives the games I play on it a weird backlighting issue that I've never been able to solve regardless of settings.

16. JakobwithaK

Ya my gaming LCd is exactly 2yrs old now and it only has 8000:1CR where the new ones have 70000:1 :eek3: But I back then I still got a helluva deal on it, so i dont regret it at all. Like I said to have technology early you pay a premium.

I was considering a 52'' LCD but Id rather just get a 50'' Plasma for cheaper and use it until the price of LED LCDs come down cause thats what i really want. I think LED LCDs are the real deal, the pic quality on them destroy regular LCDs and the entry level plasmas, but theyre also $3000+ :greddy:

I cant believe how fast the prices have dropped. Just 3yrs ago a 32'' Sony Bravia was $1400! Now theyre just under $500! :eek3:

I dont know if I should grab a 50'' plasma right now or just wait it out a bit longer for LED tvs to drop. Cause Ive heard that the big dawgs (Sony, Sharp, Samsung) are really wanting to push 120-240hz LED LCDs in 2010 so the cost of them will be dropping like flies.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  17. JakobwithaK

Ive never had lag on my LCd for games. I primarily like plasma more cause the image it gives whether its movies or tv looks much more three dimensional cause of the deep blacks that only super high end LCDs can match. Even for SD cable/satellite, plasmas put LCDs to shame. I cant believe how many people i know who bought LCDs for just SD tv watching. :rofl: I would never use an LCD for SD content its horrible especially watching sports. And paying $300-500 more for 120hz and more for 240hz is a complete waste of money. Instead of paying more, pay mcuh less and just get a plasma.

If I didnt game, i wouldnt even consider LCD.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  18. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

I love my 50" Panasonic Viera. I did 100 hours of break-in during the first week I owned it (just left it running at night) and I have absolutely no issues with burn-in.

19. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

oh, you're on of them dumbasses. lol

20. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

I noticed some image retention after playing Rock Band for 5 hours, other then that it's been awesome.

21. Zulu

Zulu New Member

You get image retention often, but you just run something constantly moving over the whole screen for like 2 minutes and it will go away. Permanent burn in is VERY hard to get unless you're TOTALLY careless.

Panny/pioneer plasma is THE best reference set you can get.

22. Zulu

Zulu New Member

So now you're going to insist that break in is pointless so I can laugh, or what?

23. JakobwithaK

How safe is it to buy a second hand plasma? this person local only wants $450cdn. Veyr very tempting even though its only 42'' thatll do for my room, new 42'' pannys are $800. Plus theyre willing to throw in the stand free. :coolugh: It looks like a Sony Grand Wega stand, its got to be worth at least $100+ no?

[​IMG]

And holy shit, another person selling a 42 Pioneer elite pro for $600.

[​IMG]

24. whippet_1

whippet_1 Active Member

Id go for a new Panasonic Set.

And While Elite's are BOSS TV's they're not optimized for gaming, input lag wise.

That Used Panny u posted might be a great deal, given it's current condition, but I just dont like the look of silver and the bezel.

25. whippet_1

whippet_1 Active Member

Oh and for reference I have a 50 in Panny plasma th50pz85