MIL anyone here full-time guard?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by insomnia, Mar 26, 2008.

1. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I'd appreciate any input, I have absolutely no clue about it's. From what I was told, I would have the same job as what I've got now... but I'd be a Technician and making WG-10 pay rates, as like a guard/civilian hybrid thing? :wtf:

I really have no clue how any of this shit works, any links to just the basic information alone would be great.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

All of the benefits of active duty. :coold:

Usually have to be a card-carrying member of the good old boy club to be considered for the position, though. And/or have very loose jaw muscles and the ability to suppress your gag reflex. :hsugh:

3. insomnia

insomnia New Member

apparently their average total AF experience is 2 years with the guys they have at Phase, i've got 3 years of phase experience and a few flightline... plus their phase dock alone is taking 12 positions :noes:

Can you be bumped from full time to one weekend a month bullshit?

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I tried for a ART, Air Reserve Technician, sort of the Reserve equivilant of a AGR (Active Guard & Reserve) position, at the base my father retired out of. His old cronies were the leadership (see: Good old boys club) but there was just nothing available.

They're hard to come by, but are the best of both worlds. You wear a uniform all week, but you're a civilian during the week. On your drill weekends you just show up and do your drill job.

5. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Nah you become union, the BS that can come with AD is usually blocked by the union.

If you like what you do its a great thing, I thought about doing it and have a bunch of friends who are ARTs now and love it.

6. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Technician jobs are awesome....before i got out of the guard i also had one fixing sincgars radios. At work in those jobs its just like working for the gov as a civilian.

7. insomnia

insomnia New Member

So it's still one weeked a month 2 weeks a year shit, on top of full time?

8. insomnia

insomnia New Member

:eek3:

Is it possible to swap bases, or is it a huge pain in the ass?

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

If there is an opening you can switch, I never heard it being a huge problem

10. insomnia

insomnia New Member

so what are the downsides vs AD? :wtf:

11. Ranger-AO

the downsides do not exist

12. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

My father is AGR PA guard, and he told me to stay away from those positions.

It takes longer to retire, which is a big downer for me.

13. Ranger-AO

details on it taking longer to retire?

14. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

he told me 30 instead of 20...but i do not have a link or anything to verify.

15. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I will look into that for you.

I'm a computer technician (GS-9) in Pennsylvania. I started in August and absolutely love it. I'm in charge of an entire region (almost an entire brigade) of computers.

As said above, you will be union. You get to choose your health plan too(Tricare is not an option). As a WG-10, sounds like you might be working in a FMS or OMS shop? You will work a standard day and when quitting time comes, you are done. When 4:30pm hits, the place is usually empty. I work in a brigade headquarters and most people there understand my position and realize I have much more pull than any E4 they have encountered. I had a 1SG try to strong-arm me on something the other day. I called my supervisor, told him about what happened, and that 1SG should not be bothering me.

You are still considered an M-Day soldier. Only differences are you can't collect a bonus (must have been more than 6 months or a year from your start date to keep it), you can not be doubled up in a slot and usually must hold the MOS for which you were hired. For example, I'm a 25B, the requirements for the job were 25B/D/S/U/W/Z. I must hold one of those MOS and be in that slot. Another guy I work with is a former 11B, but now a 25U. He can not go back to an infantry unit as an 11B. Your unit can not also excess you either. You can only keep the job as long as you are on active drilling status.

Being a technician is great. Its like you are part of a private club. My unit's 1SG is a shop supervisor at an FMS. Whenever I see him on drill weekend we say "good morning technician". Unless you are close, I wouldn't worry about how many years it takes to retire and that stuff. I took the job because I wanted to get back into the computer field and I knew I would enjoy the work. For all intensive purposes, it is a civilian job.

16. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

He would tell you that. Imagine getting to wear the uniform every day, but not have to deal with all the BS that would come with being full time military?

There is a certain level of animosity between AGR and Technicians who work at the units. Not so much if you are in a maintenence shop. Most technicians will make more (taxable income) than AGR. I still make more, salary wise, than an E8 with over 14 years (thats where the scale caps out).

17. Ranger-AO

I'm confused. I thought that AGR was the only pseudo-military position in the Guard. Do you wear your Army uniform?

I know that when I was in the AF Reserves, we had ARTs (Air Reserve Technician) but I thought the Army NG only had AGR. SO I guess my question is: is there an AGR position AND a Technician position that are both like being in the full time military, but you are actually a GS employee?

18. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Roger that.

19. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

is a AGR like a ART in the reserves? if so :bowdown:

20. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Think of AGR as like active duty assigned to a National Guard unit.

21. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Yup

22. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

That really doesn't apply in this case. When you are AGR, you are part of that unit. In order to go somewhere else, you need to find another AGR position with another unit. My unit's AGR admin clerk transferred from another AGR admin position. It isn't like a PCS move on active duty.

For me, its a little different. I work at an armory in northeast PA. If there was a job opening in Philadelphia, I would have to resubmit my resume and all the forms (My resume, HRO Form 6, OF 612, OF 386 and an SF 181). The applications are then reviewed in three catagories:

Catagory 1: PA National Guard members who are currently employed technicians
    Catagory 2: PA National Guard memebers who are NOT currently employed technicians
    Catagory 3: Non-PA National Guard memebers who are NOT currently employed technicians

I was hired as a 180 day Temporary Technician and then applied for the position I have now. I was the only Catagory 1 applicant too.

If anybody would like a link to the PA National Guard AGR and Technician vacancies, I can provide one. We have several technician openings for maintenence shop workers (pays about $16/hr to start), computer techs, personnel clerks and aircraft and helicopter maintenence workers (Army and Air Guard; plus we have a big aviation training center at FT Indiantown Gap). However you would have to become a member of the PA National Guard unit (we have a brigade mobilizing for Iraq soon too).

23. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

You work at an Armory in Northeast, PA...as in Scranton?

SGM Debonise...my father :noes: :eek3:

24. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

yeah, we talked on the phone.

25. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

amazing how small the world has been lately...
    out of all of the people in the world, you just so happened to be the one I spoke with...

so, how did everything with that computer end up?