GUN Anyone here from Charlotte NC?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by farrelly, Jun 24, 2006.

1. farrelly

farrelly New Member

Hey everyone, i finished school in december and i'm working a job i absolutely hate. i'm also living in a city that i absolutely hate. me and a few friends have been talking about moving to charlotte nc for many reasons. One of the many reasons is better gun laws. I went to school in buffalo ny where i had the pleasure of building a few ar-15's and have a new production m1 garand. sadly living in staten island right now the guns have to be stored at my uncles house in jersey, and i don't even own a handgun because nyc is a bunch of assholes. my brother filed for his about 6 months ago and he still hasn't heard back, not to mention it cost him like $400.

Anyway i was wondering what the laws are like in charlotte. I know in NC you can have long guns without registering and for handguns you need a permit for each one and they cost like $5.00. And the state also issues CCW. I was wondering how easy it is to get a handgun permit or ccw. Do you have to be a resident of the state for a certain amount of time? Fingerprinting? waiting period? How are the laws in the city? Does the city issue permits (like NYC), or are they still done through the state?

I was also wondering if they have any sort of awb there? In this horrible state my mags have to all be preban and cost me an arm and a leg, and was a pain in the ass to find an upper without a bayonet lug after the ban ended across the country. Can i have high caps? collapsable stocks and all that good stuff in NC and the city of charlotte?

Sorry about the long post, just trying to get some info, and i'm getting excited as hell to get out of this shitty state and even shittier city. Any help you guys can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

packing.org is a good place to start

3. farrelly

farrelly New Member

i don't know if their site is down but it hasn't been working for me the past few days. anyone else have this problem?

4. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

it didnt load for me either

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

NC laws are decent, Georgia and Florida are better though.

6. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

NC has good weather, that's about it from what i saw when i went to visit an army friend in Fayetteville.

If you are still considering other places, Ohio is pretty nice. It's pretty much middle of the road for everything you could think of, and there are plenty of job opportunities here in Columbus. Sadly, Columbus does have an AWB ban, but an overruling is in the works, and it doesn't mean anything in the suburbs.

About all I can say about NC is permits ftl

7. Platinum_Thunder

Ohio? Nice? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. Platinum_Thunder

I hate Ohio.

9. Platinum_Thunder

especially Ohio State

10. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

NC is very gun friendly. Getting handgun permits really isnt that bad. These are issued by the local sheriffs dept. If I get into the sheriffs dept. early enough, I can have it the same day. It's never taken more than 24 hours to get one. All they do is run a background check on you, charge you $5 and give you a computer printout with an embossed logo saying that you're good to go. I'd say that you would have to be an NC resident, or at least have a NC drivers license to get one.

I would imagine that the same goes for the CCW license. You have to take an 8 or 9 hour long class for it. That can cost anywhere from $40-$85. When you complete the course, they give you a certificate that you take to the sheriffs dept, fill out some paperwork, get fingerprinted, and then you get to pay them an additional $90 and wait up to three months to get your permit.

NC just recently passed a law that says that a valid CCW license also acts as a pistol permit. Instead of paying the $5 and waiting a few hours, you can buy whatever you want, whenever you want. I'd say that 98% of the gun shops here are cash and carry, with no waiting periods.

And GOOD NEWS, NC doesnt have any restrictions on any firearms. High cap mags, collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, you name it, you can get it. With the proper paperwork you can even have *gasp* machine guns and silencers.

I live about 1 1/2 hours NW of Charlotte. All the info here is based on how stuff is done in my county. Charlotte may be a little different, but it shouldnt be too bad.

11. farrelly

farrelly New Member

Great man that'w what i wanted to hear. As for permits ftl, a $5 permit that i can get the same day sure beats the heck out of the procedures here in ny, where it usually costs a couple hunderd dollars and takes a few months. I certainly plan on getting an nc driver's license and becoming a resident so that shouldn't be a problem. thanks for your help.

12. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Denver has the same stupid, worthless, POS kind of assault weapons ban. I live in the burbs, though, so I could care less :wiggle:.

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

CCW is easy to get in North Carolina. There are no special bans for "assault weapons" or the like. One thing maybe worth noting is that last year the city made it illegal to carry in Uptown. (I don't know exactly where the line is which defines Uptown, but it's the city center.) There's an indoor range on each side of town and a couple of outdoor ones nearby.

14. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

Charlotte is a great city, Try and live in south charlotte if you can

15. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Move to Phoenix and help me sabotage tonk water tanks. EOT

16. farrelly

farrelly New Member

thanks guys, i'm loving everything i've heard so far. no i just have to quit my job and go down there. it seems that the city of charlotte is pretty lax with guns as well which is refreshing since every medium to large city around me now as some form of weapons ban. i'm not that concerned with not being able to carry uptown as ccw is something i'd like to get but don't see myself doing that often.

17. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i fuckin hate charlotte. but only b/c my fucking bitch cunt ex-gf goes to school there. otherwise it's a nice place.

18. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

:rofl:

19. farrelly

farrelly New Member

:rofl:

glad to hear you like the city otherwise.

20. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

What the fuck?

I haven't heard good things about Charlotte's chief, after that horseshit he started about open carrying in Charlotte- Meck. On the other hand, Harrison in Wake county is not that great either.

I'll carry according to North Carolina General Statutes, and fuck whatever municipality bullshit comes along.

21. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

At least we don't have Detroit :mamoru:

22. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I live in Charlotte

23. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

mutherfuckin :werd: Go BLUE!!!! Woverines FTMFW