Anyone here ever experienced or heard of a bad (DSL) Modem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

My service is getting dropped every couple of hours. In searching out the problem I've found a shoddy wired plug. I really should have taken pictures of the wiring. It was horrible. Replaced that plug. Signal continued to drop so I went to my drop point, disconnected my phone lines and wired up a plug. Plugged my modem in. Got connection and it dropped again. This time after 10 minutes. Also, testing it at the drop point did not increase speeds, which I thought it would since I'm getting 1.4-5mb (absolute max) when I'm paying for 3.0mb. (in actuality it's 1.5 to 3.0mb service but I never see speeds over 1.5 (low 1.5's)

I'm thinking it could be the modem. At&T will be out on monday but just thought I'd ask.

2. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

This is interesting. Looking into the modem setting I see a setting under 'statistics' that gives number for max allowed speed to 'internet'. That is set at 1948kbps. :squint:

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i was having an issue with my dsl once. i went into the settings to find that my download speed was only at 384 instead of the usual 1536. i found out that my parents had installed a new phone in the house and did not use the dsl filter

my brother in law had a modem die on him after a lightning strike, it would just not sync up at all

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It kinda seems like DSL is not the way to go if you live east of the Rockies.

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

My parents live east of the Rockies and their Verizon DSL has been rock solid. While its nowhere near the speed of a cable connection, its been 99.99999999% up. No drops, no slowdowns, just a steady reliable connection.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I called and they basically said they didn't know why this was set at what it was set. Didn't tell me I could change it or that they would. :confused:

8. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm curious about my phone line connections in my house. I have one phone with 3 wireless points. The phone is plugged in in the kitchen.

The dsl line is plugged in upstairs. It is plugged into the plug I just newly wired. When the dsl line drops the signal it tries to reconnect and it continually fails. However if I unplug it for 5+ minutes (no earlier) then it finds a signal again. If I do leave it plugged in and trying to connect it can be heard on my phone trying to connect.

Now, I don't know much about how houses are wired. It appears in my house that the phone line comes into the garage, goes through into the upstairs, across it, then downstairs and back across the other way. I have no idea where the end is. My thoughts are everything is wired up in series on the line. IE: one line with all the jacks connected in. I'm assuming that the phone jsut taps into the line as it is always closed. Like I said before the signal is being dropped from the drop point so I'm not worried about the phone lines in the house causing the problem, but I'm curious how far out the 'closed' circuit goes outside my house. If the line is closed and goes to the drop point outside which is just a screw terminal connection then that means the closed circuit extends outside of the house.

If this is right anyone know how far that circuit goes?

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you shouldn't be able to hear on your phone when it tries to connect. thats what i was hearing when i had my issue. check the filter at the phone there

10. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've tried with and without the filter. I don't have another filter that has a double plug for both the phone and dsl.

Your hitting on the point that I'm trying to figure out. Like I said before I went to the drop point at the back of my garage. Disconnected the phone line to my house and wired up a phone plug and plugged my dsl line into. It still dropped, but thinking about it now I was using the filter at that time so maybe it is the filter but it seems pretty unlikely that the filter would be the problem when the line is dropped without the filter also.

I'll try it again since I havent tried it since I rewired the phone plug.

11. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I used to drop service with my DSL ATT, but I redid all the DSL filters on the house, found one that didnt have a filter on it....bam. No more dropped service.

its probably line echo or something.

EDIT- Came in too late, you seem to already be on top of that aspect.

12. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Fixed the issue. Went out and bought a new modem. No problems now.

Now to rma the at&t modem.