anyone here ever deal with asterisknow and cisco 7960 phones?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

looking to do a project for my one class. basically i have 2 7960 phones. i want to leave a voicemail call the one phone and leave a voicemail. the voicemail will then be emailed as an mp3 attachment to my simulscribe account. simulscribe will transcribe the mp3 and text it to my cell phone

i'm not sure if asterisknow will allow me to email mp3s of voicemails. i've used asterisk and sip before, but very little and our group could barely get a voicemail box setup

asterisknow seems to be much more user friendly

2. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I can't help you, but just out of curiosity, what class is this for?

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Sounds cool, what hardware are you running this on?

4. dorkultra

it is a current topics capstone class. we have to choose a project to present to the class

i'm looking at asterisknow, i think it will allow me to email wav files. that might work.

the problem i might run into is that i will be running this on the campus network, they lockdown a lot of the rooms. i'm sure my professor will help us figure out a way around this.

basically i will need to do the following:
    setup a pc to run asterisknow, connected to a switch
    have 2 7960 phones connected to the switch
    ideally have the switch connected to a gateway, this is where we might have a little trouble.

5. dorkultra

i think i might install it on one of the class pcs. from there, you just need another pc on the same network and you config everything through a browser

i might even be able to run it on my macbook through vmware fusion, i'll try that later

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

http://asterisktutorials.com/videos/trixbox/intro.html

Don't know if this helps, it's a video tutorial on TrixBox. I'm just watching it myself and it's just mentioned that you can easyly configure it to send an email with a .wav file attached of any voicemail just left.

7. dorkultra

i'm so fucked. i can't get asterisknow to connect to the phone. however i tried trixbox and i can connect to the phone and call from one to the other

the problem is that i cant email attachments. i think i might be able to follow this:
    http://www.trixbox.org/wiki/sendmail-voicemail

its goofy though, because with trixbox and asterisk, you boot up the box and it sits there, you can't access a terminal...

edit: this sorta of clarifies it a little http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=3387743

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. dorkultra

haha, bumping my own thread

well, i followed the instructions and had it use my sbcglobal smtp server for sendmail
    my jaw almost dropped on the floor when my gmail notifier told me that i got message and attachment from my trixbox. holy shit it worked!

so, then i set the email to my simulcast email. i placed a call from one phone to the other

currently using softphones on my own lan...who knows how smoothly this will go when i bring it to class and attempt to connect up some 7960 phones and figure out a way to get onto the campus network without being shut down. i think i might have to spoof my mac address, like it is one of the lab computers