Anyone here built their own home subwoofer box?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I've spoken of doing this before but I think I'm going to do finally do it. I'm curious if I have to use bmf 1/2" wood or if I could use 2" pine wood so as to allow the box to double as a seat. ;)

I understand that I have to use some type of proggy to design the box and I'll do that but if anyone has any information on old IMPP (10yr old) subs then I'd appreciate it.

2. 04

04 Guest

Use 3/4" MDF or thicker. You could use particleboard, but it doesnt finish as well IMO, and isnt as good of quality as MDF. The price difference isnt large either. Another material you could use is Baltic Birch Plywood, but it is quite expensive.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I want to stain the wood to match the stain i've put on the furniture I've made for my room. I'm not sure if MDF wood will stain as well as the pine wood I already have.

I'm wondering if the wood has to flex at all b/c the pine would not flex. :confused:

When your making a subwoofer box for a home theater is there any problem with the mixing of timbres?

The sub is going to require around 200watts. I can't spend tons of money here so if you have any advice on a decent amp that will have a crossover setting. :x:

4. GSteg

GSteg Member

MDF will not stain like oak and such types of wood. They are basically fine paper dust pack tightly together.

3/4'' shouldn't flex much, unless you have a nuclear subwoofer or something. Brace the box well and you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't think you'll have much problems with mixing different timbres, at least i couldn't hear any differences. :confused:

for amplifiers, look at www.partexpress.com and look for plate amps. They are cheap around there. check out adireaudio and Styke Audio

http://adireaudio.com/diy_audio/amplifiers/ava250.htm
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=505&SO=2
    http://www.stryke.com/amplifiers.html

the Stryke Amp-350 is probably the best bang for the buck out of the 3 links above. They are on sale right now too.

5. Dom Toretto

Dom Toretto ^--- Too Fast, and too furious

You could always apply some vineer to a MDF box to match your existing furniture color. :)

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone like to clue me in as to why these boxes are pointing down.

7. 04

04 Guest

Because it makes them less visually obtrusive.

The speaker is pointing downward, and you cannot see it. When finished, the subwoofer can be made to look like a table.

8. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Yes - you should use MDF - it has been tried and true - it is the most common wood used for optimal sound quality while not costing you a ton of money and not weighing a ton.

Downfiring a sub gives you some added bass - but it really comes down to can your sub be down firing - note that because your cone would be firing downwards - while many do it - they don't realize that many subs can't handle this because gravity pulls it down - and makes it harder when it moves up - this causes more strain - and can lead to early failure of the subwoofer.

The calculation to determine if a sub can be downfired or up fired or not - is this:

Percentage of Sag = 981,000 / (Xmax * (2 * Pi * Fs)²)

Note that 981,000 is the relationship of acceleration and pi to the rate of gravity

now - if the percentage of sag is more then 5% of the xmax of a sub (in mm) - then the downfiring or upfiring of the sub will lead to premature failure of the sub before it normally would.

that being said - use mdf, then veneer - it makes your life much easier.

9. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

Think again cochese.

10. denim

denim New Member

for home audio you can use birtch or HDF if you can find it

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

AAAAAAAAAaahahahaha... I knew that word sounded familiar! :p :wtc:

:bowdown: Pat Conroy