MIL Anyone here a linguist?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SolidRanger, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

How is it? What are the day to day duties? Do you enjoy it?

I ask because I'm getting close to finishing my BS in Criminal Justice. Long term goal is to work in federal law enforcement, counter-terrorism, or intelligence, haven't decided yet. As competition is pretty high in hiring I was thinking of joining the military which should help my chances to get hired down the road. It would also fulfill a dream I've always had to join up.

Since foreign language proficiency is also a valued skill I figured enlisting as a linguist would kill 2 birds with one stone. Do you think linguist would be a good path to take?

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:rofl: :bowrofl: I thought it, then saw this post.

3. cbs_24

cbs_24 OT Supporter

I haven't taken the DLAB yet, but that's what i wanna do.

4. willijdub

willijdub New Member

im about to finish language school. (russian) but i am not a linguist.
    from what i hear, they do a lot of translating documents, and surf websites/read newspapers/etc in their target language to gleam passive intel.

5. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

:eek3:

:mamoru:

6. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Hmm, that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I imagine they get deployed just like everyone else right?

Also is language school part of your job? What do you do?

7. spook

spook OT Supporter

If you're about to get you BS look into officer careers.

8. Off

Off Memento Mori

what language? Do you already know it pretty well? Might want to look into intelligence officer. Its not at all the same thing as an int o on the civilian side but it will definitely help prepare you for it in terms of critical and analytical thinking, leadership etc

9. willijdub

willijdub New Member

youre not here much r u? im psyop.

10. Julius

Julius Guest

i think our two army terps (sudanese & bahraini) got upward of $1k a month. they translated anything from graffiti to meetings with villagers.

11. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

im not a linguist but i just took a language test last week that should give me around 500 bucks extra per month. test sucked btw,,,

12. willijdub

willijdub New Member

what language? OPI or DLPT 5? DLI or Bragg? i take my OPI sometime between the week of the 18th... need a 1 to pass. i will achieve that. personal goal is a 1+... need a 2 or better to get $ though. ill definitely keep studying after i finish the course. eventually i hope to get paid.

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i want to test out for korean...however i need to brush up on the formal grammar..i should be able to get a 2/2 :hsugh:

14. Linguist or voice intercept analyst? One is intel, one isn't. What the intel people do is very dependent upon their language and then unit.

15. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

I took the korean test.
    Im not quite sure if you're talking about the same test that I took but I scored "3" which they told me was a perfect score:noes::cool:

edit: I went back and looked at the scoring sheet and it said DLAB/DLPT test.

16. That's probably the DLPT. 3 isn't technically perfect- the scale can go up to 5- but different tests have different ranges. The one you took probably went from 0-3 (3 being basically fluent), so I'd suggest asking those people if they have a higher level test for you, one that tests the 4 and 5 range (if 3 is a high school education-level, 4 is a college grad's level of fluency and 5 is some technical experts' level- most of us speak on a 3 level every day, but are capable of speaking at a 4 sometimes, some of us even at a 5 in certain subjects). More money, more opportunities.

17. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

yea. the one i took was the lower level korean. on the lower level, i was told i scored "perfect" but i guess that means that im just "fluent". as for the higher level test, i can request to take but im not quite sure about that because im not fluent when it comes to chinese letters.
    my friend who also scored 3 on the korean test is currently receiving around 500 bucks per month for doing nothing lol...

18. It can't hurt. And it'll look better if you want to work in the IC when you get out.

19. I told my recruiter in 1977 that I did very well in Spanish during high school, and he sat me right down for that test.

I guess I did well, since before long, they assigned me in my orders to Chinese at DLI.

I graduated top of my class at the Presidio of Monterey in 1979. :big grin:

20. My lifelong friend, who retired as a Senior Master Sergeant after nearly 30 years in the Air Force, also took a short course at language school, in his last off-career assignment as an attache at the American Embassy in Armenia.

I was surprised when he told me he was in charge of it sometimes. :eek3:

21. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Just cunning...

22. ethannv

ethannv :fawk: OT Supporter

i just completed the dlpt for vietnamese today at bragg. scored a 3/3 :o

23. Julio

Julio New Member

I'll be taking the DLAB sometime next week. Just throwing my 2 cents in. Also just sworn in about 2ish weeks ago for the Air Force (active).