GUN anyone hear about gemtech paying for your NFA tax?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpixel8, Apr 30, 2009.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:dunno: hearing rumors in HTF on....well you know

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

meh. out of my price range, and don't want a 9mm suppressor. would have to get a new barrel for my glocks. want to get one for one of my AR's that I can also use with my .22LR conversion kit.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

9mm is the most fun caliber to suppress.

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

YHM ones aren't that expensive and I THOUGHT they can be disassembled to clean.....

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

are all 9mm suppressors the same?

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

uh no.

7. Rip The Jacker

i want a threaded barell for my glock so bad. supressor + 33 round mags = sex.

8. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

no

the Tundra is top of the heap though

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

On rifles, pistols, or both? While the caliber def. seems to be the best to suppress from what I gather, what are your feelings on suppressed pistols? I'm interested, but can't find anyone local to let me play with theirs. I'm afraid that the extra weight/length would make the pistol unwieldly, and turn into an expensive item that I only brought out when shooting static paper to impress people.

Put it this way, if I wanted to shoot a run and gun type match at a range that allowed suppressors in it's rules, would I just be cockblocking myself, or would it be doable/fun? Any insight?

Interesting..... So you thinking this is a fair deal? Fucking suppressor stuff makes me want to pound my head with a hammer. I feel like at least 7/10 people with an opinion are paid reps (or people who shouldn't have an opinion), and the amount of politics and crazy marketing that goes on in that world is nuts. Makes it hard for me to feel like I could even make an informed decision.

10. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

so i guess they mark up the suppressors $250 if their willing to pay the tax, theres no way they'd be willing to take a loss on their products in this shithole economy

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

This. Many of the people who get hard-ons then go spout off whatever they read on the internet about certain suppressors have never even used them or heard them compared to others.

Unfortunately the only real way to make an informed decision is to go out and try them or ask someone you trust. Every company has different equipment for measuring their dB levels. Humidity and various other factors also affect what levels you'll get. Some sound quieter in real life than on paper, it really depends.

12. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Yes, this was a very fair deal. If you were to buy it from Polite Society or Major Malfunction you could have gotten it for like $625, which is a great deal.

Silencer Research is a great website, of which I am a paid member and they have great numbers on there on every can you could think of buying.

Here's a good rubric for suppressors;

Only buy the expensive ones (AAC, KAC, SureFire, Gemtech, SWR).

The cheap ones work good, but the expensive ones are expensive for a reason.

I almost bought a Tundra today but realized I would be into the project for about a thousand dollars by the time it was all said and done, and I still have an AAC Element on deck.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

The more expensive ones will be a little more durable and probably a little lighter for their size, but for most people who are just using them for fun and competitions, not combat, 2-3x the price isn't worth it for a couple oz saved or the ability to fire mag after mag on full auto.

If you have the money, great, but all 5.56 suppressors will still damage your hearing over time and the some of the cheaper ones have the same, or very close suppression as the more expensive ones.

14. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Okay, benefits of more expensive suppressors by caliber :

.22LR;

Invariably, the expensive cans are made of stainless steel and you can take them apart. If you can't, they're shit.

centerfire pistol;

These almost always have nicer boosters/more booster options/adjustable POIs and are definitely quieter than their 'more affordable' counterparts.

centerfire rifle for a semi or fully automatic;

Better constructed and always quieter. I have never seen a 'budget' centerfire can meter even near what the serious rifle cans are coming near. Hearing safe depends on which standards you go by (medical or uh, that hearing association) but some cans on M4 uppers are 'hearing safe'. On an SBR, the more expensive cans focus on increasing volume to minimize gas blowback, and cans like the AAC SPR/M4 have the MITER system which is an adjustable POI system.

centerfire rifle on a bolt gun;

It would be ludicrous to put a cheap can on a bolt gun.

Bottom line, a suppressor needs to be viewed as an asset, and not as a consumable. If your outlay is already in the range it is with any suppressor (paperwork, time, actual suppressor cost, tax), it really doesn't make any sense to wait a few weeks/months (suppressors, largely, are toys. if a month of you working doesn't enable you to purchase one of the best, you probably shouldn't get one), and have enough to afford one that's worth keeping forever and that performs the best, rather than just getting what you can afford at the time.

A good comparo for closing would be :

Tactical Innovations TAC16 vs AAC M4-1000 Mod 08

The TAC16 is $449, threaded mounted, weighs 24.5 ounces, and is 7.7" long. It is 100% steel, and has stamped washers for baffles. It's also screwed together.

The M4-1000 Mod 08 is $595, includes an 18-tooth Blackout FH for quick attach/detach, weighs 17 ounces, and is 7.31" long. It has an Inconel blast baffle. Incidentally, it is fully-welded, and is the same suppressor as the M4-2000 Mod 07. It also warrantied down to 10.5".

As I've said in another thread, Keesh, unless you get the TAC16 on some sort of group buy, it's REAL dumb to buy one.

For $154 more, you get a fast attach mount (which is also, happy coincidence, one of the finest flash hiders on the market), and a can that meters slightly better (with a more pleasant tone), weighs like 40% less, and is constructed far more solidly.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I definitely that if you're going to buy a 5.56 suppressor, then the M41k is probably the best option. Most of the budget cans, however, can be had for much cheaper than MSRP from many dealers. I also agree that any .22 that isn't SS and is able to be disassembled by the end user is probably not a great investment.

As for hearing safe, you can shoot a 22 rifle without hearing protection but it will damage your hearing over sustained use. .223 through any can is just as loud if not louder. My dad was an audiologist and that's his opinion on it anyway :dunno:

I'm not arguing that you get what you pay for, but IMO there is a point where the price is not worth the product. I think AAC has some very well priced items, whereas companies like KAC and Surefire are pretty overpriced for what you get.

16. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I understand that they can be had for much cheaper than MSRP, however, for this exercise, it's not fair to include 'deals'. That would be like me saying that an LMT 10.5" upper is $400 because that's how much I got mine for. Not very scientific.

I understand that it will damage your hearing (damages your stereocilia, which do not regenerate, results in high frequency hearing loss), but when I say hearing safe, I mean according to OSHA. Medical professionals, such as your father, have a different, and probably more correct opinion rooted in different criteria.

I shoot my suppressed .22s without ears all the time. I am pretty sure it is safe for my hearing.

When you say that KAC and Surefire are way overpriced, I agree, but, it's a different market segment.

Suppressors can be looked at kind of like cars - there are cheap ones, expensive ones, etc etc.

As a fun aside - the reason KAC cans are super expensive is because 80% of them or something crazy are for government/private contracts and the civilian sector is a total afterthought. They are also among the loudest 5.56 cans out there. The advantage is that they are 100% Inconel. Fuckin baller.

I suppose that my main point I am trying to get across in this thread is that you need to be intelligent when you purchase a suppressor because for only a couple hundred dollars in most cases (as I exhibited) you can do so much better for yourself, and you will be so much happier.

17. Rip The Jacker

fuck I have a 17 :hs:

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I got my LMT 10.5 for $400 too :rofl:

As far as I know, .22 is good to go without ears and a good can.

I definitely agree with the last part. Might as well spend a little bit more once if you can and end up with something that will last you a while.

I guess my original comment was more directed at the KAC/Surefire cans.

19. Rip The Jacker

link?

20. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

You can get an LWD barrel for a 17.

suppressed Glocks are pretty great

21. Rip The Jacker

i'm hoping to pick up an evo 9 to use with it and a 9mm AR if i ever figure that out.

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

explain what this means for my newbness

23. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Inconel is a super high temp alloy that basically costs an arm and a leg and then a dick and some balls to machine (takes a tool harden so fast).

You can do a lot of high schedules of fire on that can.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

NFA is like the coolest club ever and i cant join :hsd:

shit, in CA you can't even have a pistol with a threaded barrel - its an assault weapon :sad2:

25. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

ya