A&P Anyone have this camera (Nikon D5000) - feedback?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Dec 28, 2009.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

This is the package I am looking at:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4843800&CatId=7

I've found this package at a local camera store for $850 and that includes a camera bag and a "how to use the D5000" DVD...which is probably something I need to watch! lol

Any feedback on this model? Pros? Cons? Issues?

I am looking to replace a Sony A100 with this camera. I posted about a week ago about this.

Cliffs from last post:
    Lens is jammed - fix or replace?
    Should I even invest money in this setup. Whether I fix or replace the lens, I would still be using the A100. Worth the money to upgrade to something current...blah, blah blah.

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

D5000 is basically the D90 in a consumer body. Good camera. No internal motor, so you can't use lenses that require the body to have the motor. Overall supposedly a decent camera.

The 18-55 lens blows. The 55-200 is pretty good, but you can get it alone for like $150-$175.

If you do buy it, get the body only and get different lenses.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

From what I have read, this will limit you from using older lenses. What about new lenses. Will this be much of a burden down the road when I try to buy another lens?

The camera will be primarily used for action shots (sports) at distances ranging from ~10-100 ft. I realize I probably won't use a 18-55 lens much for these photos... But when you say "it blows" are you talking about the quality of the build? Quality of the images you will get with it? Functionality?

I've found this camera - body only - for $599 locally. I could probably beat that price online, just using that as a reference.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

$599 locally will require tax though don't forget

the lack of motor isn't a huge factor since most new lenses have it anyway

the 18-55 blows in picture quality and you def won't use it for action shots. it's too slow and 55mm isn't long enough to zoom in anyway.

even the 55-200 would require a ton of light to properly use for sports, since you'd be shooting at 5.6 or f/8 if you want sharper pics

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

in any case the d5000 is a fine camera. i have the d90, and i love it. if you can find the d90 for like $100 more somewhere then get that. it has a lot of nice features for only a little more money

7. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I just upgraded from the D60 and the D5000 was one I looked at too.

At the end of the day I went with the D90 body only (I already had lenses that I liked).

The reasons I chose the D90 over the D5000 was the no AF motor. Another reason was the D5000 only has 1 dial. I hated having to hold a button and spin the single dial to adjust aperture.

I also liked the fact the 90 has more buttons for adjusting AF, ISO, metering, etc. so I was not constantly going to menu and changing options. Also, the D90 has a bigger view screen.

Oh yeah and having a screen on the top of the camera to actually see what your settings are is really nice.

However, the D90 and D5000 both have the same sensor and it is really good especially at high ISO.

Basically the D5000 is the internals of aD90 just in a D60 body.

I was not a fan of the 18-55 and out of the gate bought the Tamron 90mm macro and the 35mm/1.8.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

agreed, i would hate the lack of 2 dials and all the buttons to quickly access shit like iso/wb/metering/focus/etc and i love the top LCD

9. pawis

pawis werd em up

just wanted to throw out that 18-55 may blow in build quality(its pretty bad), but is decent in IQ(esp for a kit lens). outside of feeling like a toy i wasnt unhappy with its results when i used to have it.

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

What lens would you suggest then?

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

over 100mm i don't have a good suggestion :( i use the 55-200 and try to make it work. has to be a sunny day though if you want to freeze fast action

under 100mm...

i have and love the nikon 35 1.8. it's a great prime, sharp, and only $200.
    i also have the tamron 17-50 after OTAP made fun of me for hating on it. i was so wrong about this lens. it's awesome
    tamron also makes a 28-75 that is great for the same money, but 28 is too tight for a general lens on the d5000.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

people give the kit lens a bad rep. the IQ is very good when the lighting is optimal. when it is a little low, it starts to fade. cant ask for much more from a ~$100 lens

13. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

bought the d5000, love it, great camera cant complain. HOWEVER, i do wish i had the extra manual buttons on the d90 and the internalized motors.

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah that's a good point. i dont think you can go wrong getting it, even if you hate it down the road. it's a cheap lens to start with.

i dont regret getting the 18-105 with the d90. i used it for 2 months and then sold it. it actually took $50 off the price of the body at the time :mamoru: