GUN Anyone have problems with JHP and Springfields?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LancerV, Sep 28, 2008.

1. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

My springfield 40 jams like crazy with JHP, FMJ feeds fine, and so does every other ammo JHP I have to litterally find a table to be able to move the damn slide to get it to unjam

2. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

no issues here

3. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

my springfield 1911 hasn't come across a brand or style of 45acp it doesn't like yet.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

My XD .45 hasn't had any issues with any round I've fed it yet.

5. LancerV

I dont know maybe it needs to broken in, but the remington jhp jammed like a bitch. I guess Ill call springfield if it still does it

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Take a look at the rounds after you get them out of the gun. Does the head of the bullet have gouges where it was bit by the barrel rifling. I'm thinking that's the problem.

Usually when this happens it's one of two issues. Either the overal lenght is too long (not likely on factory rounds), or the ogive of the bullet is too fat for the leads of your barrel. If this is the only bullet that you have problems with I would just use another bullet. If it is several brands of bullets or the bullets you can get easiest/cheapest and you really want to shoot them then you have to get the leads cut so they fit.

When I get a match barrel fit I give the smith 10 dummy rounds and 100 live rounds of my ammo. I tell the smith to cut the leads and throat for this ammo. This way I get the most precision out of the barrel/chamber.

7. LancerV

Yep it gets stick right at the lip on the rifling on almost all the ones I looked at.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Oh and a trick to unstick a jammed round.

Grab the top of the slide in a overhand method like your going to rack the slide. That is palm on the top of the slide not the pinch slingshot method. Point the muzzle somewhere safe parallel with the ground and then with your strong hand open hand strike the back strap of the grip. Strike the back strap with the web of your hand between thumb and index finger. You have to get kung fu and put some snap in it. Don't wussy it, and hold onto the damn gun so it doesn't go flying off.