anyone have expierence w/ mobile ipod speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supaboom, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Supaboom

Supaboom everyday i'm hustlin

hey all I was looking at getting my gf one of those ipod speaker stations for xmas her photo ipod she got not too long ago. Anyone have any expierence with these? I see bose has one but its 300 bucks :(
    I was thinking of maybe the Altec Lancing inMotion (or im3?) or the Logitech mm50

I searched but didn't really see any reviews...and help is appreciated
    thanks!

2. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

I have the inMotion white speakers.

Pros:
    Portable
    Foldable
    Battery powered
    Ease of use

Cons:
    Not loud enough
    Not the best materials

I got the speakers last Christmas, along with my black iPod. I was considering trading them for the iM3's for the remote, but I couldn't justify spending $50 plus trading mine in for a remote I probably wouldn't use that much, so I kept them.

They are great if you're looking for a portable battery-operated system for your office, etc. They fold compactly into an included carrying case, and the iPod plugs fits right into it, via the thingy on the bottom. It charges your iPod when plugged in, and you have multiple hookups in the back.

On the other hand, they have ok power. If you have a case for the iPod, you have to take it off before you stick it in, or else it won't fit. You can't really turn them that loud, because it's only four mico speakers, or whatever you want to call them. If you're looking for something to blast whenever you want, this probably isn't it. The batteries last long enough for 4 AA's, but I would've liked to see a longer life.

I haven't heard the iM3's, but this one isn't the best portable system. Great for an office desk, but if you're going to be using them at a noisy lunch at school, or want to crank up when nobody's home, look elsewhere. I'd suggest the Bose, or one of the other systems in the store, if you want a powerful unit. Problem with those is, you can't unplug those and take them anywhere. The volume range on those is amazing, and it's worth plugging in for. Go to the Apple Store and check out what they have, play with them, and see if they have everything she would want. Good luck!

Hope this helped. :)

3. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

Kind of a grab bag, but these are the only ones I'd buy.

Plug-in
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...QfuVG1fK5P/2.SLID?mco=9E42955C&nplm=TA874LL/A
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...QfuVG1fK5P/2.SLID?mco=35582514&nplm=TF189LL/A

Portable
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...QfuVG1fK5P/2.SLID?mco=F49A3F7C&nplm=TE207LL/A
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...QfuVG1fK5P/2.SLID?mco=CB647FBA&nplm=TE623LL/A

The Bose and the Klipsch or whatever had about the same volume, from what I heard. I didn't turn it up all the way, because that would piss off all employees and customers in the store.

Both of the portable systems I listed are great for the price.

4. Supaboom

excellent! yes it did thank you for your help!
    yeah the bose is huge :eek3: it seems like anything w/ good sound isn't going to be very mobile. Thanks for your help though! Shes mostly going to be using it at her desk i think...its just amazing how expensive the bose ones are :eek4:
    i'm going to try and look at them this weekend :bigthumb:

5. Supaboom

i tried to click on the links but said my session was timed out :o
    edit: wait nm i got it..i like the kiplich igroove one ...but still amost 300 :wtc:

thanks for your help again! i appreciate it!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  6. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

No problem. Yeah, the best thing is to really go into the store and play around with them, but that'll do I guess until then.

If she's just going to be using it at her desk, it really doesn't need to be that loud. If so, I'd actually call the Bose overkill, with the Klipsch close behind.

Good luck. :)