SRS Anyone have experiences with Wellbutrin XL?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Shamrock, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock I can in end the world in a Holocaust OT Supporter

I already had one allergic reaction to imipramine and am wondering has anyone had problems with wellbutrin?

2. Krizzy

Krizzy New Member

Funny, I was just prescribed Wellbutrin XL a few weeks ago.

The only side-effect I've experienced so far is dizziness...

Take it in the morning - possibility of suppressed appetite.
    Take it at night - possibility of insomnia.

Also, I've heard rumors that the generic version will cause hair loss... But that I'm not so sure about.

I'm on 300mg every morning and despite the dizziness (which is said to fade after a few weeks), I feel better than I have in a long time.

Good luck!

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea i had trouble getting my dick up and cigs tasted bad..

no longer using it nor do i have a need for it, its a good drug

4. Shamrock

Drinking will it cause a problem I know not to drink on any type of drug but on 150 mg will I have anything to worry about(casual drink)

5. Shamrock

i'm 150 mg in the morning plus 20 mg of lexapro twice a day

6. richbitch1

richbitch1 Peace OUT!!

i was just prescribed it for depression and i have been taking it for three or four days now...i think it is making me feel worse, but maybe that is just me???

7. Shamrock

said it can do that on the onset takes about 2 weeks before you feel anything

8. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

yea it doesnt do anything at all until you have enough of it built up in your system buddy.

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

the only side effect i suffered was mild euphoria. the effects were also quite mild overall

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Wellbutrin is extremely well tolerated is associated with very low sexual side effects, nor weight gain unlike that of other medications that treat depression.

Wellbutrin is effective against:
    • depression,
    • anxiety,
    • fatigue,
    • overeating,
    • obsessive compulsive behavior,
    • controlling rage,
    • ADD/ADHD.
    It's a very good medication for those who can tolerate it. I recommend beginning at doses of 100mg for the average person.

Often 100mg does the job. For the rest of us, 150, 200, or 300mg is near the higher end of the spectrum. For extremely severe cases of any particular symptom, 400mg has been seen, though rare.

Warning:
    Beware that Wellbutrin lowers the seizure threshold, thus making some people more susceptible to seizures. This is more of a problem for people going 300mg + especially when mixing anti-seizure medications for mood stabilization.

Note of interest:
    The great thing about Wellbutrin is that people often have anxiety or panic attacks when using Zoloft, Paxil etc, but do just fine on Wellbutrin. The difference is Wellbutrin is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, where as those other SSRI's work primarily on Seratonin.

If you can't handle SSRI medications, Wellbutrin or Effexor might be right for you. Wellbutrin is stronger and shown in studies to be more effect than Effexor.

Wellbutrin has a number of generic versions, but some of them have been reported to work less effectively. It is unknown whether that is a fact. Bupropion is another version that is

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  11. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You shouldn't have been given Impiramine to begin with. Unless you're an extreme case which hasn't responded to any available therapy, it shouldn't have been used.

12. Punky72

Punky72 New Member

I took Wellbutrin to stop smoking before. It was a low dose. I suffered some side effects from it: dizziness, loss of appetite, and insomnia (which was bad because I am a recovering Anorexic and already have insomnia problems.). It did not help me with the smoking thing either.

Everyone responds differently to medication. I personally did not like it, but I do know several people who have had great results from taking it both for depression and to quit smoking. All I can say is you won't really know unless you take it for a while.

As far as drinking while taking the medicine, well, you need to speak with your doctor on that one. I really do not feel it is wise to drink while taking any type of medication, but that is just my personal and professional opinion. Again, only your doctor should answer that question for you.

13. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

No, it's not just you. Initially in treatment the side effects can make you feel worse until your body is accustom to it. After a period it will subside. Report this to your doctor. If it is overwhelming and you can't continue, let him or her know.

14. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You can have "possibly" a beer or two at most if I'm not mistaken, but when other medications are involved, that lowers the likelihood. This is a question you'll need to ask your doctor to confirm what is appropriate for your specific case.

15. TiffanyTJB

TiffanyTJB New Member

When I took Wellbutrin I got really paranoid- I thought the cars in front of me were following me. I would drive around the block and make wrong turns to make sure there were no cars behind me.
    I also couldn't wear necklaces because I thought someone could strangle me with them.

Not everyone has side effects like I did, but mine were pretty bad.