Anyone have experience with patellofemoral degeneration and weightlifting?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by James O'Leary, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can't run track much for the next four to six weeks to heal, and I'd love to get more lifting in. But will it stunt my recovery?

2. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    Shit man I have. Mine wasn't too bad, all I really needed was to wear orthotics.

I lifted regularly while I waited for my knees to get better. For me, as long as the orthotics were in, I wasn't doing any more damage. I still figure that bending my knee 20 or 30 times to do a bunch of squats will do a lot less damage than all the times you bend it while running.

3. How long did it take you to get back to running? If you were a distance runner, how long till you got up to a good weekly mileage? (50+)

4. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    Yeah thats the thing. I was never a distance runner. I think 3 miles is the furthest I've ever run.

I developed enough pain just doing like 90 minutes a week on an elliptical machine. My deal was really my overpronated feet. They caused a misalignment in my leg, which caused the degeneration. Once I corrected the foot, my knees felt better pretty quick.

5. Elfling

Elfling New Member

My knees got better after I damaged them doing long-distance running; I gave up running, picked up lifting, and after I learned to do squats and other stuff right I think my knees are better now. I haven't gone back to long distance, longest I've gone since is 8 miles..but my goals are different and I'm just happy I can run at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.