Anyone have experience with Bodycraft Jones "Smith Machine"?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by grooves12, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

I am in charge of looking into adding new equipment for my HOA's community gym. I put out surverys and there were lots of people looking for increased free weight availability, however, pretty much everyone on the board and all equipment suppliers have recommended against a true power rack/barbell setup, due to liability issues and the fact that many people that aren't exactly experienced lifters will be using the facility.

So, basically the alternative proposed is to get a "Smith" machine, and personally I think they suck, and the limited range of motion is not natural and leads to injuries and problems down the road.

I have found the BodyCraft Jones Machine: http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2468 which seems like it would offer the freedom of range of motion of free weights with the safety factor of a smith machine.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using one and what they thought of it?? Also, from the looks, it seems like it is a little light-weight in construction... if anyone has used it, do you think it would hold up being used in a gym in a condo complex with approx 250 units having access to it?

[​IMG]

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I've never seen one of those before, looks pretty cool!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you. I thought condo places had shitty machines because they didn't want to shell out the money for weights, not because of "liability issues"

3. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

Well, I live in a high-end condo... and we have a pretty large area for exercise equipment. It is actually pretty well outfitted with lots of equipment. We have lots of good cardio equipment, but most of it needs to be replaced due to age, and there is a decent set of weight machines, but the stacks on them are too light for my needs, and the lower body machines consist only of a leg curl machine and leg extension machine.

I think I will have no problems authorizing getting some nice cardio equipment. But, the whole reasonI took on this project was to get better free weight availablity in there. Right now all we have is a beat up bench and a dumbell rack with 5-45lb dumbells.

Like I said I think a true Olympic Barbell set and power rack will get shot down... but I think I can get a Smith Machine approved. I hate Smith machines... this "Jones" looks like a good compromise.

4. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Fight the power!

Seriously though.. fuck that thing. Get a quality rack, a nice benchpress bench, and a couple flat/adjustable benches and be done with it.

5. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

Did you not read the post at all?? If it was up to me... thats exactly what I would do, unfortunately its not.

6. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

It doesn't look like it would hold up to any heavy use but if you figure how many people will actually be using it I think it'd be alrite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.