GUN Anyone have experience with a rem. model 710

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Jan 20, 2006.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

My friend got one 400 bucks w/ scope at Big 5. I was afraid of the quality, and it doesnt feel that great in hand(cheap synthetic). But my friend said it felt much more high quality then the Savages(which i dont agree with).

ANYWAY, we were shooting it at the range, and even with the first chambering, the bolt was very hard to get all the way foreward. It seemed like every few rounds were hard to chamber and you really had to ram the bolt in and down to get it to go downward and lock.

So for his sake, Will taking the gun back to get a new one help, or is it just how the model is?

thanks in advanced.

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

They arent reloads are they? 710s arent that great of rifles, there are definately better deals out there.

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

710s are okay for a truck/ranch gun. $400 sounds awfully high though. did you try different brands of ammo? what about bullet weights? how was it for cycling the bolt w/no cartridges in it? was it hard to close the bolt before you loaded it, or only when rounds were being chambered? once the round was fired, was it hard to reopen the bolt?

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

710's do not have a good reputation, and that is not a particularly good price. For a bolt gun that price range I'd stick to a Remmy 700 or Savage.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

what he said, more info needed.

6. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

well CA prices are always higher as Ive found (450 average for a new SKS russian). He was only shooting Winchester Super X's in I think 150gr??. It also had this problem with the snap caps he bought. The bolt cycles OK empty, but is still harder to close then I think it should. It wasnt tough to open, only to close when chambering a round. WHEW.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

710 better than a savage?

time to get new friends

8. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

eh, once he gets his mind set on things, its tough to convince him otherwise. He doesnt think the 710 is better ,he just said it doesnt feel as cheap as the savage:rolleyes: .

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

was he on acid or something? savages feel 100x better

the first time I picked up a 710, I immediately made the :ugh: face..

I would be scared to shoot the damn thing.

My brother has two savage bolt actions, both are very nice, much nicer than the 710.

10. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

oh I know, after handling both i dont know what he was smoking. Then again he also let the guy convince him to get a 7mm remmag over the 30-06 when it will mostly be range and some deer probably. The guy at the shop asked if he hunted elk in canada (my buddy said he had a friend that did) and told him the 7mm would be much better for that. Oh well, not my gun, if he likes it, who am i to judge, we dispute this about as much as we dispute the feel of my 870 over his mossburg 835.

11. mrbill

mrbill New Member

if it's a smidge tough w/o a round, it could just be that the tolerances are really tight. if that's the case, then the only thing you'll need to make sure of is that the case neck isn't too far forward(which could cause it to pinch the bullet and raise pressure). maybe it just needs to be broken in:dunno:

12. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

I had that problem too with my 710, but only when it got dirty. It was almost impossible to chamber a round until I took a cleaning brush that fit the chamber, stuck it in as far as I could then rotated it a few times. After I did that I had no problems chambering a round. I think I paid around 300 for mine a few years ago when CA wal-marts were still selling rifles. I probably have about 1500 rounds or so through it with no problems, as long as it's clean.

13. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

they have a couple used 710 w/ scope packages at my local gander mountain for $210. might pick one up.