Anyone have experience w/the LG Chocolate Flip (LG 8600)? v.NeedANewPhone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by teo, Jul 6, 2007.

1. teo

teo . => ? => !

I'm in the market for a new phone because quite frankly mine blows and it's getting worse by the day (software issues, mostly). I've been looking at the LG Chocolate Flip (LG 8600) for the Telus (CDMA) network. (LINK) The reviews I've read are love-hate, seem to center solely on looks :hsugh: or on Verizon service which I won't be using, and generally haven't really given me a good feel for what the phone can really do for the average consumer (or not do, for that matter). I'm also trying to contrast it against the Razr V3C, but haven't had too much luck with that either.

If you have it, have played with it or know someone who has it...
    - what do you like/dislike about it?
    - do you consider it to have good value?
    - would you recommend it (or recommend another phone)?

Info about how I use my phone which might be useful, in order of most to least importance:
    Land-line replacement: it's the only phone I have, so the new phone needs to be reliable (crapping out for no apparent reason on anything more than a rare basis is not tolerable). I use the phone as a phone and I don't need PDA functionality.
    Reception: I'm in a basement suite. I don't object to standing in the kitchen to take calls (that's what I currently do), but it'd be nice to sit in my living room instead. My SO (also on Telus) can do this with his Nokia 6265i, so this shouldn't be an unattainable goal.
    Battery life: I have low call volume (receive/place maybe 7-10 calls in a usual week, each lasting maybe 1-2 minutes tops with the odd longer call), so for a new phone I expect at least a few days' worth of battery life on standby.
    Text messaging: maybe 10-15 messages sent in a week, sometimes more. I need something that doesn't capitalize the first letter of every fricking word on T9 mode :ugh: (I don't know which genius at Samsung thought that would be a good idea but I've suffered through having to have two additional keypresses per word to undo it and I'm DONE with that, tyvm) and I would text more if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to do so.
    Cost: Should be reasonable and proportionate to functionality. I'm not dropping a grand for a Nokia Luna, but I don't have to toe the line on a budget, either.
    Looks: I want a phone that looks nice, after years of having no-frills phones. I'm partial to flip phones; however, I would prefer functionality/reliability over looks.
    Games: I like cribbage and play it often on my current phone (when it's not corrupted that is :ugh:); hopefully I can download that for the new phone. Not too important, though; it's a nice-to-have.
    Music: not important. I have an iPod for that and no interest in combining the two at present (phone battery life is more important to me).
    Camera: not important.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks! :)

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

Forgot to add that an alarm which can operate in vibrate-only mode is an asset, and my ears are pretty sensitive so it doesn't need an incredibly loud speaker although a nice loud ringer would be nice. :)

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

Ok, I'll take that as a 'no' :hsugh:

It's irrelevant now, anway - I went out and bought it. Guess I'll have to figure it out the hard way. :)