A&P Anyone have experience using high-end video cameras?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Lava Joe, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

I am referring to TV/Hollywood production and not personal camcorder type cameras.

Other than windshield-type panels or visors placed on the camera are there any other devices used to keep rain off the lens?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I use a $45,000 camera at work. We don't have a device to keep rain off the lens other than a clear filter. We have a rain cover for the body of the camera but the front of the lens is open to the elements.

Hollywood uses a high speed rotating device, similar to what boat captains use in a storm, that spins water away from the lens.

3. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

I don't know what you are referring to with what boat captains use in a storm. What I am picturing in my head is a clear plate in front of the lens which spins and in turn keeps water off.

In regards to what you experience at work would you say there is room for improvement. I don't care about the body of the camera, just the lens itself.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

This is the same thing that boat captains and hollywood uses. The device spins so fast that the water cannot stay on it and is optically clear.

Is there room for improvement? In my field you would have to create something small, cheap and lightweight otherwise it wouldn't get used much. It's pretty easy to shoot in bad weather as long as you have something over the camera. I've shot in the rain before by keeping the camera in a van and shooting out the door or simply putting a large umbrella over the camera.