Anyone have any experience with the herb Vitex for lowering prolactin?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BAC_311, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

my prolactin levels in 2005 were 16.6 ng/mL and just a month ago 14 ng/mL.

0-14 is the reference range for the lab that did my most recent test. So as you can see i'm at the upper end of the reference range. I'm a male, and from my understanding, we don't need prolactin...for anything. It has benefits for stroke patients and some other things like that.

anyways, i'm pretty sure it's causing my gyno, which is the nodular kind.

Vitex agnus castus is the tech. name of the Chaste Berry Tree. supposedly it can be used to lower prolactin.

doing a google search, found someone's post on a forum saying it made their levels go from 7.5 pg/mL down to 0.5 pg/mL :eek3:

-----------

cliffs: vitex a good natural prolactin solution?

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

no dude just get on pramipexole and aifm or prami and aromasin if you prefer liquid (i do)

3. Abomb

Abomb New Member

the prami will improve mood and libido and lower prolactin albeit it may make you sleepy and/or lose sleep sometimes

4. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

doesnt prami = 400% mroe GH production too?

5. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

is it even working for you? last time I checked your log you weren't getting any results

6. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

si. senor.

7. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

but sersiously. anyone use vitex for the purpose of lowering prolactin.

8. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

no we use real drugs not pussy herbal shit :p

9. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My prolactin level is 8.6...is that bad?

10. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

:hs:

11. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I just ordered some; it's cheap so what the hell

12. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Seriously, there are real, effective drugs. Why do you want to try something no ones ever heard of and may or may not work?

13. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

is it legal to buy prami? i'm just thinking i'd like to try something that can be bought and ingested legally seeing how i want to be a police officer.

14. ralyks

ralyks New Member

AFAIK yes. May want to check with what they consider "legal" though.

15. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

if it requires a script to get it at a pharmacy, then it's illegal to buy and ingest.

I suppose I could test it on my mice though :hsugh:

16. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

what I need is to find an Endo somewhere in CT who is progressive enough to listen to their patient and take into consideration what the patient thinks is good for themselves, not what the doctor thinks is good for the patient.

for example, my G.P told me that they generally don't touch prolactin and if it was something I really was worried about that bromocriptine is something that can treat high prolactin and that i'd probably want to go see an Endocrinologist. (i know that bromocriptine has worse side effects than cabergoline/dostinex)

if Prami has a name brand or generic that a doc would be willing to prescribe me, than that's pretty much the only way I would get it and than ingest it.

17. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

and all you using prami talk about mood enhancement and raise in libido, i'm pretty sure it's not coming from the lessened amount of prolactin in your body, but the raise in dopamine in your system. which I can imagine that once you come off of prami, cabergoline, etc. your body will return to it's past state of imbalance. Correct me if i'm wrong on that last statement. paging Macro.

18. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

19. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

lol I know plenty of cops who used to smoke tons of weed and do all kinds of other shit

I wouldn't worry about it too much...Mirapex is the "official" name for pramipexole

20. Abomb

Abomb New Member

gyno shrunk some

21. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I'm thinking more along the lines of ephedrine where it is OTC but is considered grounds for "cheating" or whatever for certain organizations. Instead of guessing like the hypochondriac you are, just go to a police training school and ask them.

22. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I don't think they are going to ask you if you ingested research chems on your polygraph.

23. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

found this.

Vitex agnus and prolactin hormone
    Chaste tree Vitex agnus-castus pharmacology and clinical indications.
    Phytomedicine. 2003 May. Wuttke W, Jarry H, Christoffel V, Spengler B, Seidlová-Wuttke D. Department of Clinical and Experimental Endocrinology, University of Göttingen, Germany.
    Extracts of the fruits of chaste tree Vitex agnus castus are widely used to treat premenstrual symptoms. Double-blind placebo-controlled studies indicate that one of the most common premenstrual symptoms, i.e. premenstrual mastodynia ( mastalgia ) is beneficially influenced by a Vitex agnus castus extract. Premenstrual mastodynia is most likely due to a latent hyperprolactinemia, i.e. patients release more than physiologic amounts of prolactin in response to stressful situations and during deep sleep phases which appear to stimulate the mammary gland. Premenstrually this unphysiological prolactin release is so high that the serum prolactin levels often approach heights which are misinterpreted as prolactinomas. Since Vitex agnus castus extracts were shown to have beneficial effects on premenstrual mastodynia serum prolactin levels in such patients were also studied in one double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study. Serum prolactin levels were indeed reduced in the patients treated with the extract. The search for the prolactin suppressive principle(s) yielded a number of compounds with dopaminergic properties: they bound to recombinant DA2-receptor protein and suppressed prolactin release from cultivated lactotrophs as well as in animal experiments. The search for the chemical identity of the dopaminergic compounds resulted in isolation of a number of diterpenes of which some clerodadienols were most important for the prolactin suppressive effects. They were almost identical in their prolactin suppressive properties than dopamine itself. Hence, it is concluded that dopaminergic compounds present in Vitex agnus castus are clinically the important compounds which improve premenstrual mastodynia and possibly also other symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome.

Vitex agnus questions
    Q.
    I have read that the herbal supplement vitex reduces prolactin secretion, and that some men have taken it for sex enhancement purposes, and experienced a much shorter refractory period as a result. I have also read that the effects of vitex agnus herb are very different, depending on whether the dose taken is relatively small or large. Have you, or have any men that you have communicated with, had any experience with vitex agnus herb or extract? If so, was there any reduction in the refractory, and were there any undesirable vitex side effects? Is there a optimum dosage?
    A. I don't have much experience with vitex agnus in terms of its effect on sexual function. There are many other herbs that are much more potent in this regard, for instance maca, tribulus, horny goat weed, catuaba, and tongkat ali.

Q. I’ve heard men take vitex agnus to help lower their prolactin. I’ve also read it was used centuries ago by monks to curb sex drive. Could you tell me if a man could take vitex agnus in low dosage to lower prolactin and what would be deemed as low dosage?
    A. Rather than focusing on the level of one particular hormone in the body, one should address the actual clinical symptoms. Having said this, some studies do indicate that vitex agnus herb can lower prolactin levels. I am not aware of any long term human studies in men that determine the ideal dosage of vitex agnus herb for this purpose. One can curb sex drive with the supplement 5-HTP.

http://www.raysahelian.com/vitex.html

24. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

25. macro

macro New Member

its on the higher end (even though range is 17) anything over 10 is generally problematic, 8.6 IMO is too high and can be the source of many issues, mood, libido and testosterone wise to name a few.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.