Anyone have any experience with DVI to HDMI with LCD monitors?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowrofl, Jun 14, 2008.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hay guys! :wavey:

I'm interested in hooking up Playstation 3 to a 22" Samsung 226BW LCD Monitor temporarily while I shop for a new television for the next few months. I've been hearing that it's better to get a DVI <--> HDMI cable rather than adapter as less connections will mean better overall quality, and Monoprice has said cables for quite cheap.

The question I have is audio. If I'm hooking the system up to an LCD through HDMI, how would I recieve any audio? Something I can't figure out really... any ideas? :hs: Also, if anyone has hooked up high-def devieces to their LCDs this way, I'd like to hear if you've had any problems doing so.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

PS3's HDMI goes to DVI (226BW LCD) = video only.
    for the audio, you need to use cables for the PS3's A/V or Optical Outs, then hooked those up to speakers.

you have to set whatever you used on the PS3's Audio output settings menu.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DVI and HDMI are both digital, so adding "connectors" will not reduce quality. Over long distances, or with a very high number of connectors it's technically possible that it could make the difference between working and not working, but I would be very surprised if it makes a difference for you.

An adapter is fine.

Keep in mind that LCD's have native resolutions and the picture looks shitty at anything other than that native resolution. Computer monitors do not generally line up with TV resolutions.... So your picture will probably be a little distorted/grainy unless your monitor also has an upscale processor in it (and if so, just use component for the ps3)