anyone have an edu on vista media center?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so i have the following hardware:

asus combo atsc and analog cable pci 1x card (only analog cable hooked up)
    happaugauge pvr-150 analog cable pci card
    hdhomerun hooked up to cable, grabbing clear qam
    vista home premium

so i'm wondering a few things.

1) do i need to have media center open for something that is scheduled to record, to record?
    2) i also have a tivo and i'm able to do a show title and keyword search, how do i do that?
    3) looking to get a remote control that will function well...ideas?
    4) DVR-MS files suck, I want to convert them to xvid avis, I think i found a guide, but it will require me to convert them to mpeg - and then reconvert to xvids...
    5) can i adjust the volume of certain channels? some of my local HD channels require me to turn the volume way up
    6) need an edu guide of channel # remapping and renaming
    7) how do i swap between analog cable tuners? i know i can just change the channel from one that is recording and it will swap automatically...but how do i see what is currently recording without digging through a menu?

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

1) no. recording will be a background process. you don't need to run the app.

2) :dunno:
    [​IMG]

3) your TV tuner card didn't come with a remote?
    anyway,... lots of options here. the most simple one would be a basic $25 MCE remote that is compatible with Vista (some are XP MCE only).
    if you have Logitech Harmony, Gyration, or any Universal remote that you would like to use,.... you have to research on the specific model on how you will make it work on your PC.
    imo, IR>RF but it varies of course for every user.
    I use a simple Microsoft MCE Remote (made by Philipps).

4) I use this one http://www.soft29.com/dvd_video/video_converter/avs_video_tools.html

5) just like any media player, MCE has its own volume control, which is independent from your sound device's volume control.

6) :dunno:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    don't think you can rename it though

7) :dunno:
    [​IMG]

3. dorkultra

thanks doomsday :bowdown:

also, can i do picture in picture?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nope.

I haven't checked but google MCE hacks/add ons/extensions.
    I don't think its possible but someone might created a hack or something for MCE PIP. :dunno:

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Are you aware that there are apps that decode .ts (tivo) files into MPEG and AVI?

There are also apps that let you search your Tivo and move files from the tivo over the network to your PC.

When I had my Tivo I used these things quite extensively.
    I once made a collection of 6 months of Jeopardy, converted them to AVI, yanked out the commercials and burned them to DVD's. I then mailed them to my Sister.

6. dorkultra

oh yeah, i use directshowdump to convert a .tivo file into an mpeg. then i use visualhub on my macbook or hackintosh to convert that mpeg to an xvid avi

pretty sure i could eliminate all of that if i paid tivo some money for the tivo to go program

or i could i could use tivo transfer on my macbook, i think it will automatically re-encode