Anyone have an adverse effect to BC pills?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Nikkorizz, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Nikkorizz

Nikkorizz New Member

I'm talking about the SERIOUS side effects: blood clots, stroke, heart attack, etc.
    Years ago, my friend's mother had a blood clot in her leg and had to be hospitalized.
    Recently, I just went on BC pills after been on the ring for a while and started to experience a tight "squeeze" sort of feeling in my chest and heart area. :noes:
    I stopped taking pills and immediately went to the doctors.
    By then, the feeling started to fade a little. Doctor did some routine checkups and told me to stay off the pill, ring and all forms of birth control for fear that I might get a blood clot in the heart or lungs next time. Apparently my blood had thickened to some sort of degree.:ugh:

The terrible feeling is all but gone and, well, I'm glad I'm alive and stopped an impending and painful death beforehand, but that more or less sucks for my sex life.:ugh:
    I don't smoke, I'm under 30 years of age, my height is 5'3'' and I was totally fine(I think...) on the ring.
    Any thoughts?

EDIT:
    I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen LO, btw.

2. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Some people just have adverse effects to bc, the only thing I really experienced when I started bc is a few pounds of added weight, also the urge to cry. Ive never been a crying person but now that im on bc i can see a kodak moment a river will then ensue. I cant help it. A girl I work with cant take anything with a hormone in it bc it will give her debiliting migraines. It just can depend on the meds that your on while your taking it, thats why there is always the disclaimer on the commercials bc your doc is supposed to know what interacts with what. Keeping your doc up to date on what your taking even otc is critical. (ie vitamins stuff like that). I feel like im preaching, Im not saying you didnt do any of this stuff but alot of people just dont think about it.

Seasonale is my form of poison. The best stuff invented yet.

3. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

For drug interactions you should always check with the pharmacist; they will be able to tell you all about different drugs interacting.

As for birth control, it depends on the percentage of hormones in them as well. Some people do better with one brand or type of contraceptives, which is usually because of the differences in "ingredient" percentages in different pills/methods.

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclin & did okay in regards to the veinous system. However, it had serious side effects for me in just about every other area. I then switched to Yasmin (which was a lower dose of hormones), which left me with major chest pains by month 2. I finally got back on BC and switched over to a progestin only pill since any pill containing estrogen left me with serious side effects. This seems to be the pill that worked perfect with my body.

From what I've seen and read, it's the estrogen (and/or estrogen & progesterone taken together) that's the main factor in blood clots/problems (in regards to contraceptives). The NuvaRing apparently fills your system with half as much estrogen as pills containing estrogen (over a 21 day period). It's possible that you did fine with the ring because the hormone dosage was lower than most combination pills.

http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/whatIsNuvaRing/whatAreTheBenefits/Half/index.asp

Here's a page that lists quite a few different contraceptices, their side effects, and the technical names for the hormones they contain.
    http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/HealthGate/19831.html

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  4. Nikkorizz

Nikkorizz New Member

Really?
    Is it true that if you're on Seasonale you get about a 10+ day period after the three months are up?
    If so, that's rough.:mamoru: I'm used to nice short ones(even without the BC).
    I guess it all sums down to personal preference of how and when you want to get your period.

5. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

periods are still 7 days and the arent near as bad as when i was not on bc. Lets just say open the faucet and leave there for a week. Being moddy is the only downside I have with the pills.