Anyone have a WD TV Live ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Dec 24, 2009.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I just purchased one of these Western Digital WD TV Live Network-ready HD Media Players . Haven't even taken it out of the box yet but already have my wheels turning on the possibilities of things.

I know i can stream movies/mp3's/pics from my PC to this device as it is. That was my original plan and will be what i will do at least temporarily.

But then today I received a nice new 750GB 32MB Cache SATA hard drive. So that got me thinking of putting the new hard drive in an enclosure and attaching it to the WD TV Live. Just not sure how I would send files to the enclosure. I do have a router where the WD TV Live will be placed. So I already will have it hard wired into my network.

I have heard of NAS devices and that sounds promising but I'm just not sure how to incorporate it to the WD Live.

Any thoughts or advice?v

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I have a wdtv live and a drive hooked up to it via one of the usb ports, that drive doesn't show up on the network, but when I browse from the wd player, it shows me my shared drives on my computers and I can play media from there.

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

So how do you get files on the drive? Wouldn't you have to connect it to your main PC, copy files over, disconnect it and then connect it to the WD Live?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I have a different content streaming device, but for me it will allow me to "pull" files from my PC to the device's drive. Not sure it really does any good since it plays HD content over the network just fine from my PC, so I just leave the files there.