Anyone have a Sandisk?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by smerkor, Apr 26, 2005.

1. smerkor

smerkor New Member

I am looking to buy a mp3 player for my gf. Not too interested in lots of space, no need for more than 5 gigs. It will be primarily used for working out. Have been looking mainly at the Zen Micro and Ipod Mini, but I really like the Sandisk 1GB.
    Really just looking for something easy to use, something that has plug and play capabilities, drag and drop, and can easily play mp3s not bought from a service such as iTunes. Has anyone used the Sandisk, and what do you think about it, ie sound quality and ease of use. Or can you all suggest anything better. THanks

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

iPod Shuffle.

You don't have to buy songs from iTunes to play them on the iPods. They will play pretty much any MP3 and you can use iTunes to rip all of your CD's to any of several different formats, though the Shuffle won't play all of them (the other iPods will though).

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  3. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Definately buy the Sandisk. It is beyond me why anyone would buy a iShuffle.

Sandisk:
    - LCD screen, allows you to see what song you're playing, and allows you to browse songs by folders
    - Recognized as an external HD, just drag and drop.
    - Has Radio
    - Has Voice Recorder
    - Uses AAA batteries
    - Allows you to change just about every setting (fast-forward search speed/sleep timer/how long the screen lights up/bass and treble setting/play speed/etc)
    - $20 LESS than the iShuffle

4. Chalkitup

Chalkitup New Member

Wouldn't changing out the batteries be a real pita as opposed to just plugging it in and recharging o/n?

5. smerkor

smerkor New Member

well i def. want the lcd screen as well as the fm tuner. Now i cant decide between this and the Creative MuVo TX 512 MB MP3. Reviews are good for both, so I dont know which to pick

6. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

i'm trying to make the same decision...is it true that you cannot put the songs in the order you want on the Sandisk??

7. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Well, I just loaded the music straight onto my player, (recognized as an external hard drive) instead of bothering with the bullshit uploading program that came with it (it wouldnt let me create my own folders, or drag and drop my files, so I was like "fuck that"). Whatever order they are in in windows explorer, that is the order they will be on the player after you import. However, if I put a new song onto the player, after I already put some others in that folder, it always ends up on the bottom of the list. If it really matters to you, you could make a folder on your computer, take all the files from the player and put them in that folder, organize them in that folder, and put them back onto the Sandisk.

And about the batteries: If you hate buying new batteries that much, you can always buy a set of 2 rechargable AAAs. Keep one in the player, another in the charger. Swapping out the batteries really isn't that much of a hassle. It doesn't even take 20 seconds. The AAA usage is also great for people like me who like to travel and get away fro mhome. With the AAA's, I can just throw a new one in when the current one dies. If I don't have any AAA's with me, I can find them at just about any gas station or pharmacy.

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  8. StevenDA

StevenDA New Member

My first post and its about an mp3 player ha..

Anyways, I bought a Sandisk Mp3 Player about 3 months ago, I got the 256MB one...It works amazingly fine. I haven't has any problems with it. Mine totaled to about $115. 256MB really uploads alot of music, depends on the file name though, usually if .mp3 it holds about 100 but .wma holds about 150. I say go for the sandisk...Cheap and good especially if you dont listen to a crap load of music.

9. rayman334

rayman334 New Member

I was really thinkin' hard about picking up that 1-Gig Sandisk, but a lot of the reviews I read of it complained about poor quality sound, and the menu causing interference and such. Supposedly, firmware updates will take care of it, but I dunno.

What I eventually ended up doing was purchasing the iRiver iFP-899, another 1-Gig flash player. It's more expensive, though, at around $200. It also has a radio and voice recorder, and it will do in-line recording as well.

Out of the box, it isn't drag and drop or recognized as an external drive (although you can somehow use Windows Media Player to upload, but I haven't messed with that yet), but there is alternate firmware that enables it.

It takes AA batteries, which I absolutely love. I find batteries to be less of a hassle than plugging it into a charger. If it goes dead, I don't have to sit there until I get home, I just swap in a freshly recharged battery and turn it back on. Rechargeable batteries are a lot cheaper than battery packs, and I can swap them out in a few seconds. It has a battery life of somewhere around 20-34 hours, depending on conditions.

It is also loaded with features. You can set it to record things off the radio at certain times, there's 6 dozen languages, you can configure recording sound quality, how long the backligh stays on, all sorts of stuff.

The bad:
    Well, when I got mine, I paid way too much. Now, it's the same price as the Sandisk at bestbuy.com. For just a bit more, you could get a 5 gig player.

The battery cover comes loose far too easily. If you squint at it funny, it will fall off. You will have to use the protective silicon thingy that comes with it.

The earbuds they include are kind of crappy. They are Sennheisers, so they don't sound too bad compared to some others, but the cord is too short (if I hold my MP3 player at arms length, it will start to pull them out of my ears), and they fit ridiculously poorly.

Programming it can be a pain too. You have a joystick, the play/stop button, the A/B button, and the red dot button. That's it. Setting things can be a pain without the manual. I still don't have the radio functions down yet.

10. antitogether

antitogether New Member

Good thing you didnt go with the sandisk. They are really cheap quality. I dont have the 1 gig one but I have the 512 and let me tell you its a pos. I first bought it and right out of the box it didnt work at all. I then had to go through the hassle of returning it. Even though it has a lot of features the overal quality is bad. My joystick is loose ad the plastic is also loose on the case. Another thing is my backlight never works continually, it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Oh, and the battery life is horrible on it. I would say it gets about 6 hours per AAA battery and it gets really annoying having to carry around extra batteries with you. If I were you I would have got the Zen Micro. It looks like an awesome lil mp3 player. I am actually looking at it right now.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  11. smerkor

smerkor New Member

Well I went with the Creative MuVo TX 512 MB. I got it for about 65 dollars from Dell when they had the $70 off coupon + $25 off $150. This mp3 player is perfect for me. Instantly recoginzed by windows, drag and drop no problem. Took me less than 10 minutes to fill it up and be on my way. I am no audiophile, but the sound quality is great. Runs on 1 AAA which I really like, but I haven't had it long enough to see how long the battery will last. The controls are really easy to use, no complaints there. Comes with FM radio and recorder, but havent had a chance to test these out. Earbuds where ok, nothing special. Overall I have no complaints at all. I got this for my gf, but I have been using it so much, that I will either have to get her a new gift, or buy another one for myself. As for only having 512mb, it really isnt a problem. 1GB would be nice, but 512 just makes me rotate my music more often.

12. Robb

Robb Guest

good choice, had one of those and really liked it, it was good quality and the sq was amazing.