SRS Anyone have a problem with craving instant gratification?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fixthe fernback, Aug 2, 2009.

1. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

I think I have a problem with needing instant gratification. If I want to buy something, I just buy it. If I don't have the money for it, I'll put it on credit. I have no problem paying it off usually in the not-too-distant future, but that money could have been saved and then maybe I won't want the thing I wanted to buy once I save the money for it.

I first noticed that this was a problem this weekend. My girlfriend was planning on coming to visit me for 2 weeks in 2 weeks. Neither of us could wait. We were both looking forward to it. Now, I REALLY didnt want to wait. That 2 weeks felt like eternity. So what did I do? I bought a $110 plane ticket for this friday. Now I only have to wait a week. She had plane tickets already. But I said fuck it, I don't want to wait, so I bought the ticket for her.

Now, after seeing OTers talking about their S2000s, and seeing how good the S2000 is, I start getting all kinds of ideas about trading in my car that I've only made 4 payments on. I'm not going to go through with it, but I still really really want one. The original plan was to buy a $3500 Miata once I save the money. But I wanted to trade my car and finance an S2000 instead! Once I put the nail in the coffin by seeing what the depreciation was on my car, I started getting a craving to finance a $3500 car!

I feel like this coul get out of hand and lead me down a path of debt. I can't save anything because I am always buying shit I don't need or don't want to save up for. I need to get a 6 month cushion of savings, but I want a Miata too. Plus, I can't be without alcohol in my fridge. I only drink one, MAYBE two drinks a day but I gotta have it. And I don't just buy bud light. I get wine and craft beers.

I'm also addicted to fast food. I have food at home that's quick to make, but the sound of a crunchwrap or volcano burrito is music to my ears. It's very detrimental to my health and wallet. I drove 26 miles yesterday to buy $1 fish tacos from long john silvers. It's hurting my wallet in gas as well!

What can I do to stop these cravings for instant gratification? I don't want to be a stereotypical American who takes everything when he wants it only to build a mountain of debt. :sadwavey: I clearly see the risks but can't seem to do anything about it!

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You should only buy what you need. If you get a craving then count 30 seconds, then ask yourself 'do i honestly need this?' if the answer is no, walk away and don't buy it. If you get the 'buy it' feeling, give yourself the hardest electric shock in your brain saying NO!, and hit the brakes in your mind as hard as you can, again and again and again, until you supress it, run away if you have to and refuse to buy shit that you don't need.

Throw away all the alcohol out of your fridge and never buy any alcohol anymore, this because alcohol makes you easy going and if its not in your refridgerator you can't drink it, replace it with drinking a common juice or water. That'll save you money. Next

FINISH WHAT YOU START, don't jump from one branch to the other tree, climb only one tree at the time, and reach the top. You have to promise yourself that if you start with something you will finish it to the end, even you rather die then quitting a project. No more half assed projects, finish what you start.

No more easy on yourself, cook full fledged meals, yes it takes effort but your health is worth it, being too lenient on yourself and you will also degrade the quality of your health and your life. In other words,

Throw all the negativity out of your life like a garbage man, and do this on a continues basis, if you can't resist a temptation then you have to avoid it like the plague and consider it as such, this is the only way to live a decent life.

You have to understand that its a concept of maturity that 'even if you have money ' you cannot afford to do everything.

Cars are a bad investment, they only cost money, and the only thing that makes them worthwhile is their aspect of transportation, they don't bring up any money unless they go to a place where you earn money. Like work.

Try to avoid food frenzy's and exercise on a daily basis. You don't want to become a fat american now do you?

3. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

^ Good advice right here...

I'd even sayforce yourself to wait 30 days before more expensive purchases and then reassess whether you really need/ want it and whether you can afford it.
    Also create a monthly budget and start tracking your daily spending, it's pretty simple and doesn't require a lot of effort. You already realize your habits are hurting your wallet but this'll actually show you the dollar amount being wasted on booze, fast/ convenience food and impulse spending :dunno:

4. fixthe fernback

Thanks for the advice guys. I think the first thing I am going to do is go through every dollar I've spent over the last month and figure out what is going where. Hopefully that will scare me into submission. It will be hard over the next three weeks to cut out unnecessary spending, because my girlfriend is coming in and staying with me... I've already spent a lot for her and I will probably be buying her most of her food.

5. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

For the most part the things that you talked about I don't see a big problem with them. Paying $110 to see your girlfriend that lives far from you for an extra week doesn't seem like a big deal (which I guess is relative to how much money you make). And while all your thoughts about cars are terrible ideas, the important thing is that you haven't done any of them (unless I read wrong).

Your problem seems to be in budgeting. You'll buy small stuff all the time and that can add up very fast. I remember another thread where people were getting at least one coffee a day from somewhere like starbucks, which was costing them 5-7 dollars each time. Figure one a week and that's an extra 40 dollars a week on something that you can easily go without. Combine that with any other stuff you might do and it could easily take up your free money. Once you figure out where your money is being spent (like you said you're going to do) you'll realize how much you're spending on things that you really don't even want that much.

6. fixthe fernback

I heard the term "peanuts in the grand scheme of things" today. I get that exact thought each time I go to a fast food place :o. I put a sticky note on my door last night to remind me that if I don't need it, don't buy it. So far it's working :o

So I'm starting to get a huge craving again... I now really really want to buy a stainless steel skillet... all I have are non-stick and cast iron. I can't make good sauces with these... how can I deglaze if I can't glaze? :wtc: This is going to be tough, because I can afford one :o

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Select a different environment.

Move to Africa.

8. OhHai

OhHai New Member

Holy fuck man you sound just like me :hs:. I constantly buy things on a whim, will drive out of my way for fast food or a restaurant, and cant stand not having alcohol in my fridge. I have had many people tell me I crave the instant gratification, and being a poor college student I am spending much more then I am making :hs:. Its hard, and I have been steadily losing cash I have saved up over the last years..

9. fixthe fernback

I bought a skillet. It was onlt $40... I see it as an investment. This should help bring my passion for cooking back! I should be able to save money in the long run. I can taste those reductions and gravys now :yum:

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

Try leaving your cards at home. Give yourself $x in cash, whatever you decide is reasonable, from your paycheck. Put the rest in a savings account that is not accessible from your cards. Make that cash last until your next paycheck.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You want to get yourself to the point where the pain of spending money > the pleasure of getting whatever it is you want.

Or put another way, the pleasure of saving money is stronger than the pleasure of getting the thing you want.

"Sure, I could buy this, but I'd rather have money in my back account."

It's a feeling within you that you have to develop.

It starts to become addictive after a while.

Getting credit card bills hurts.

Paying credit card bills hurts.

Writing checks hurts.

Minimize the pain.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

^ whoa, each line was shorter than the last. That post is like an upside down ramp.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

If you don't really care about money then you probably won't ever get there.

The pain of buying things should be enough to stop you because sure, you could buy a car for $3,500 or whatever, but how long would it take you to replace that $3,500 in your bank account? THAT is what sucks, and that is what you need to focus on.

14. fball56

fball56 New Member

Why did you bring this thread back? It's 2 years old...