ANyone have a Media PC???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pookrat, Dec 10, 2003.

1. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

From a manufacturer or custom built? I think I'm fixing to build one to replace my DVD/Playstation/PC/TIVO... Just wondering what others have done.

Will need ATI All In Wonder or such for Video Output and Capture.
    Also need High End Sound Blaster of sorts for at least 5.1 sound.

Ima gonna use this case. That will match all my components of my stereo system.

And a good Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo...

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. MP

MP New Member

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

^ oh snap - i need to do that

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

also check out avsforums.com they have a section just for HTPC - loads and loads of awesome information

5. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

If I were you I would check out Antec's Overture or Minuet cases, there is also a nice Lian Li microATX case if you are stuck on using microATX. The problem with that Cooler Master is that it can only use a microATX motherboard ... and powersupply too IIRC. And it's expensive as hell.

Also I'm going to whore out my hardware advice like I always do and recommend a fortron FSP300 power supply and Samsung SP1614C harddrive, these are PERFECT for media center/HTPC applications because they are dead, dead quiet. You can get both of those from newegg.

6. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I think the ATI cards do not work well with Windows Media PC, which sucks because an ALl-In-Wonder would be perfect... anyway, check out the article about theRadeon 9600XT on Tom's Hardware, I think that is where I read that...

Also, you are gonna have to obtain a copy of the OS, if you got MSDN Universal, you are all set... I have been thinking of doing this with a projector...

7. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

I was looking at building one also, just got the media center with our MSDN pack. Anyone got ideas on what to use for a remote?

8. MP

MP New Member

I'm in the process of building a comp to run it. Hopefully by the time I finish they'll have that live TV pause thing added to it. Just need some big ass HD's now :)

9. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

I'm prolly not gonna run the Media Center OS. Just XP Pro. I'm gonna use it with both my projector and HD TV for web browsing/games/DVD's/and Tivo functions via the All in Wonder. For "remote" I am going to try to use the crappy azz USB remote that comes with the All In Wonder as well as this keyboard mouse combo for wireless control/input.

Blindsight - Thanks for the reccomendations on the quiet components. That is a big factor so you don't get any interference or background noise when watching movies... I like Antec Cases but most of those are silver or have silver accents if I am correct. The Cooler Master is the same demensions as my Yamaha Components and same color too. Not to mentiontha same price. Unless those others come in all black...

Lude - Freevo is very cool but I don't think Ima gonna go Linux for this box...

Keep the suggestions coming. Ima buy and build everything after Christmas...

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I have a 533 Celeron HP that I have setup as a media PC. It is a TINY PC that I got in a warranty deal, very quite too.

I have XP Pro on it. SPDIF out through a $25 chaintec card to our 5.1 system, and RGB out to our 52" Pioneer Elite RPTV. :naughty:

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

12. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

This guy has an Abit NF7-S in his coolermaster, i dont know what model it is tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]