anyone have a macbook extended battery?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thinking about getting a 62Wh battery, as compared to the stock 55. carries a 6 month warranty (thats not all that great)

i wonder how it would work with the occasional apple battery firmware updates...:dunno:

2. Herbavor

Herbavor New Member

Im wondering this too, wonder if its a big difference.....they are pretty pricey i beleive

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i've been thinking of getting one too, my battery is lasting about 2 hours (usually less)... kinda annoying

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

We've always used NewerTech batteries from OWC in the past (up until the current MacBook Pros as they don't have them available yet). There is a decent difference in the life of the battery and they also seem to last longer and run cooler then the Apple factory batteries. We would always order them as soon as we got the new machines. I'd recommend them. I emailed NewerTech a couple months ago about a MBP battery and they said they hope to have one out soon but that may just be their generic response. I know there is one company that makes them for the 17" though.

5. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

is there a link? I need a new battery for my MB... I only get about 45 minutes if I'm lucky...

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

These are the only guys offering an extended battery right now. I haven't heard any reviews of the batteries but FastMac has been around for years and is a reputable dealer.

http://fastmac.com/laptop.php

They don't have much more then the factory batteries though. The standard MBP 15" has a 60Wh battery while the replacement has 62Wh. The MBP 17" has a 68Wh from the factory while the extended is 71Wh. The MacBook batteries do get a jump from 55Wh to 60Wh. Price on the batteries isn't bad either.

7. itwasntme

itwasntme New Member

My battery still shows 70% on istat pro (charges to 99), but takes a dump after about 15 minutes of video or 25 of very light work. I'll be in the market very shortly for one and would like to get an idea of this extended battery's limitations.

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Like I said, these extended batteries aren't much bigger then the factory batteries. The extended batteries for the TiBooks and AlBooks offered up to 50% more capacity while these ones offer 10% more at the best.

Chances are that they will survive longer though (more charge cycles) as the latest round of Apple laptop batteries. I wonder how much of it has to do with the change to Intel chips and faster processors and how much has to do with the change from Lithium-Ion to Lithium-Polymer batteries.