Anyone have a Mac Mini? How do you like it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Feb 26, 2008.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

So my parents are currently using a PC that I built around 2003. It still surprisingly runs GREAT, especially since they don't use it for anything demanding. The problem is, they suck at keeping spyware off of it :hsugh: and I believe there's an issue developing with the hard drive.

They've only used Windows but are still pretty noobish at using computers, plus there isn't a steep learning curve for OSX. I'm thinking the best solution for them is to get a Mac Mini. They don't need anything powerful, and they aren't too expensive. Best of all, it won't be infected with spyware. :hs: I've never had an issue with spyware on my PC, but honestly I have no clue what they're doing with theirs. :hsugh:

So my question is, how is the Mac Mini in terms of general performance and reliability? Is the cheapest one worth it? I'd build them a new PC for less money but I think they'd like using OSX and spyware will not be a concern.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I have an Intel mini with 2GB of RAM that I use a lot. Works great for everything as long as you aren't looking to do anything graphics intensive. Nice little machine.

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I loved my Mini, the only problem I had with it was the lake of a good video chipset. If you using Expose a lot with a bunch of windows open it can get really choppy.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I was just going to ask the same question. My dad has the same problem. Thinking about looking at used minis.

What's a good price for older minis?

5. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Thinking about getting one temporarily then get a mac pro.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Apple's refurbished and clearance items

Check the Apple store for refurbs and clearance stuff. 2Ghz Mac Mini with 1Gb memory, 120Gb hard drive and SuperDrive for $679. new it goes for $799.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
    Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

Originally $2499, at that Apple refurb site it is $1999. $500 off a Mac Pro is awesome even for a refurb.

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

That's still too expensive. My dad just needs it for email and web. I was thinking one of the first ones released. I just wonder what a good price is for them.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i've heard you want to avoid the core2solo (single core) processors which are the earlier ones you are talking about. i'd also recommend sticking with 1Gb of memory which is where a decent amount of the cost goes.

anyway, the link i posted didn't work anymore, but you can go to the apple store and look in the bottom left corner for refurbished stuff. they had a cheaper core2solo mac mini before, but it is gone now.

10. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

core solo is a pile of turd, youre better off this the g4 or core duo.You can get a core solo and implant a core duo chip tho and save some cash that way.

11. inamorata

inamorata New Member

i do, at work, its great

12. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i had a mini as my first mac, i loved it :bigok:

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

why would a g4 model be any better than a core solo? at least you can run bootcamp/vmware on an intel based mac...

14. peerk

peerk New Member

I like my Mac Mini but I do feel that it is underpowered.

15. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

What on earth are you talking about :squint:
    CS rapes the G4.

16. eyustfu

eyustfu ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

how are the x264 720p or 1080p rips with the mac mini?

17. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

maybe the g4 in the mac mini, but my dual 1.8ghz freescale 7448 (freescale G4 chips @ 1800mhz each with 256kb L1 and 1mb L2 cache per chip)g4s in my powermac rape core 2 duos and is only about 4-5 seconds behind the xeon quads in mac pros. I found my g4 ibook to be just as zippy as a core duo macbook, and it was only a 1.2ghz, then again it had a 120gb 7200 rpm hdd,and 1.25gb of ram. I still disagree with core solo. Core duo, core 2 duo sure, core solo no.

18. eighteen_psi

I owned a G4 mini and loved it...loved it beside deadly serious workstations far more powerful. It's a sick little basic box and the intel one is even more so. If you don't need a dedicated GPU (the weak one in the G4 isn't great anyway) or workstation-grade expandability I say get one. They're fun and chicks dig em.

Now....

The G4 in the mini is what we're talking about here, not an endgame aftermarket upgrade for a WORKSTATION level DP machine :ugh:

Also... cpu doesn't make a machine 'zippy' when it comes to any remotely modern proc. They all have more than enough muscle to sling IM and browser windows around plenty quick. 'Zippy' is enough RAM not to page, and a fast disk.

Further, you're high if you think a dual 1.8 freescale can touch any c2d single much less a mac pro quad/octo. :ugh: edit: 4-5 seconds behind on a 6 second encode?

19. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

youre kidding me right? you do realize its the 7448, NOT the last g4 apple used, which was the 7445. the 7448 has double the L1 and L2 cache, compared to the fastest g4 chip used by apple, not to mention its a dual cpu. 10.5.2 takes 7 seconds to boot from power on to useability, cs3 loads in 4 seconds to full usability, and a gradient in 1000dpi @ 11x17 takes 1.72 seconds to fill. What are we talking about here? its far from slow.

I didn t say its faster, because its not but the cost of my machine and performance vs. a macbook pro or a mac pro = $2000 in my pocket, and a 4-5 second extra wait on intensive tasks like say... ffmpeg , while ripping a movie, for that money i saved, im laughing.

20. eighteen_psi

Yes because CPU is they key to loading apps quickly. Oh, wait no...it isn't. It's a fast disk. My homebrew dual 3.2 (netburst) xeon slings open PS CS3 uncached in a second or two, half the time of my mac pro. Must be faster! Oh...I didn't mention its packing 15K SCSI disks.

I didn't SAY your DP Freescale is slow. I said it'll get raped apple to apples by a C2D. Double/quadly so by a Mac pro. In photoshop...which is hardly the nastiest app going.

I wouldn't doubt a 20:1 no-lube demolition on something vector intensive like a ProRes encode.

21. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

In terms of raw power, it will smoke any macbook, mac mini and and any intel graphics machine , mainly because I am running a 7800 GS with 256mb, and Sata.

22. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

ah but see, i am not running ide at all, 1tb via 2 sata II seagates in raid. Eitherway, I use xeons at work with xp pro SP2 and CS3, they can t touch me, and they have more ram, sata as well, comparable videocards and are running dual 3.4 or 3.6ghz chips.

23. eighteen_psi

What the hell is wrong with you :rofl:

24. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Out of curiousity, any idea where to get an app to test some benchmarks, im very curious to see what my actual score would be. sorry for the thread hijack!!!!:rofl:

25. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

Whhhhaaaat? it was a free quicksilver given to me that i decided to invest in, since i didn t feel like buying a new mac only to have apple shit on me and redesign and upgrade the damn thing 2 months down the road.