SRS Anyone have a fulltime job (40hrs+) and have another job or working on a project?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Grid, Mar 24, 2009.

1. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

With the economy is such bad shape it is making me want to get a part time job or work on something that could potentially generate income in addition to my 40hr per week job. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing or what your experiences have been like when you did somethine like this.

Also - any ideas about what to do would be great.

I'd like to get something that isn't too stressful/physical intensive. Also one where I can read books a lot or use a computer (i can bring a laptop and be on the internet) and interact/meet new people. Would need it to be in evening - night.

Some ideas I have:
    library
    hotel desk
    receptionist at a place that's not very busy
    data entry
    bar tender (I want my fri/sat nights open though :hs: )

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

You sound like a perfect fit for a museum or interpretive center. They might want you on gift shop or reception or something but they can give you some cool stuff as well. I did this as a volunteer but they pay as well: help with research for future exhibitions, write those little blurbs under the pieces, help design tours, help catalogue and store pieces in storage, etc...

This also works for art galleries as well. Unless you are interacting with the public you won't be working weekend nights (Or it's once every few months when a new display opens and even then it's a cool night out and something that people do for fun anyway).

If you live in a big place then try something like a zoo or tourist information place, etc...All these big public areas need many part time workers and volunteers. Usually the volunteering ends up as paid work if you choose to take their offer.

Interviewers. Doesn't matter if it's for the gov't, private marketing firms, non-profits, etc... Either phone or door to door.

3. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

a museum type place would be great. Good idea!

4. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

in the summer i worked about 60h work weeks. between 2 jobs, gets old running around but the paychecks are worth it. Although goodluck finding another parttime job with everyone else lookin for a job too.

5. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

If you have any type of online skill try selling your services on sites like eLance

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

night security? don't really have to deal with any people and its probably a boring ass job 99% of the time

7. silentIgnatius9

silentIgnatius9 New Member

I work a 40+ hour job doing maintenance and groundskeeping for a local high school. Between that, a part-time landscaping job for a private business and an unpaid internship at a weekly newspaper, it's decent pay, I stay in shape, and it's good, humbling work.