SRS Anyone have a degree in statistics?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Raisedshoulder, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

My girlfriend is thinking about getting a mathematics degree in statistics or some kind of degree that is heavily in math. I'm just wondering if anyone has a degree in mathematics statistics and what kind of job you guys have.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Ex-roommate I still talk to got a double degree in Math (Statistics) and philosophy. He's now in grad school in something completely unrelated. Although if it helps, he applied for jobs and was offered an analyst position for an economic development company. Was offered 70K to start and he was 24 so that was great. This is in Canada.

3. Raisedshoulder

hm... sounds good. my gf is just confused about what she wants to do in life but she's really good at math so I felt maybe she could get a degree in stats. I was thinking maybe an actuary would be a good job too.

4. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Is she the type of person that would like that? A go with the flow type or an analytical, think of everything that could go wrong and plan type? You can do a lot of fun and creative jobs with a math degree. I guess dealing with risk all day could be fun in the right position.

5. Raisedshoulder

I could see her definetley as an analytical type. She's also one of those types of people who is very set on schedules and very well organized. I just hope she chooses something she will enjoy.

6. Tom Foolery

Tom Foolery New Member

My finance prof got his undergrad degree in statistics. I don't think he actually did anything related to stat after school, but went on to get his MBA and then his doctorate in real estate

7. kEVOgt350

kEVOgt350 Like a flashlight on but lost, my energy's there b

I have a b.s. in applied mathematics and work for a hybrid company writing software for testing purposes.

It was hard as hell to find good work w/a math degree and this was just before the economy took a dive so it's probably even harder now. I would recommend your gf backs it up with some other courses: economics, business, etc. Something that will take her in the direction she wants to go with her career. I took some computer science with my degree and sometimes I felt like those few classes got me further in job interviews than the actual degree.

Also, look for internships cus experience helps.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

A friend of mine has an undergrad degree in stats and is getting a masters in biostatistics (I think). We also have a couple of statisticians at my lab. They mostly do data analyses, work with students/professors to help them, they coordinate the entry of data on the computer by undergrads assistant, they are in charge of the databases and so on. The friend of mine likes doing a job like this because she doesn't have to know the subject much but gets to see varied subjects. They also don't have to work with the preparation of the studies or the writing, they just deal with the data so they are there to see the "important" stuff without having all the other long-term tasks.

It's pretty easy to get a job nowadays, especially for those in biostats.

9. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I have a mathematics major among other things. I'm an educator (math). I'm working on my Masters in Administration (e.g., principal etc).

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's more important to choose something you can do well, even when you really don't feel like it. Joy and happiness don't pay the bills -- consistently productive work pays the bills.