GUN anyone have a bow?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hsmith, Feb 16, 2006.

1. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i've been thinking about picking one up. i had a compound when i was 10, it was a blast to shoot.

don't know what i would want to get though :o

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

would you hunt w/ it?

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

possibly, target practice as well, but i don't know where around here i could od that :o

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Sold my last one about 5 years ago. They are fun as hell to shoot, but string slap on the forearm ftl.

I had a couple of Dartons, which are pretty meh. When I was really into it I lusted after PSE & Oneida, but I don't know what the hot shit is supposed to be now

5. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i've got a bow and really enjoy it. got my first deer w/a bow this past season as a matter of fact. for just starting out, i would reccomend a package bow(one that comes w/a sight, peep, rest..etc). one thing you'll need to know before buying is your draw length. see if there's a bow shop near you that will measure your draw length for you and answer any questions you may have. i'd also reccomend trying to buy through them as they will usually take the time to set the bow up correctly for you. lots of folks will tell you that Mathews/Bowtech or whatever is a better brand than the next. don't listen to them. my $200 PSE killed my deer just as dead as my buddy's $500 mathews did his. if you've got some time to kill, check out archerytalk.com, texasbowhunter.com and pse-archery forums and do searches and read up.

proper form will prevent that.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah, it more/less stopped when I started shooting with a release, but I'd get myself at least once per sesssion if I was shooting with a finger tab. :noes: Damn that shit hurts.

If you don't get a combo deal, do yourself a favor and get a decent rest and release. I waiteded waaaay to long to upgrade from the "regular" (at least at the time) plastic rest. Although I'm sure a higher end bow comes with a decent rest. Also, if you're not hunting then target points are fine, otherwise practice with your broadhead. Not a whole lot of diff at short range, but exponential difference at longer ranges.

7. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

I bowhunt every year. I get pretty into it. About 6 months before bow season, I practice about 30-1hr EVERY day.

I get so good in the season, that I can hit a squirrel in a tree. Search my post, I had a thread in the main forum a couple weeks ago with a squirrel stuck to a tree with my arrow lol.

I shoot a Pro Series PSE, and a Mathews LX solo cam. You REALLY get what you pay for in a bow. Technology has come a LLLOONNGG ways with archery.

You can get a really good Hoyt for about $350-400. They are super quick, and almost quieter than the Mathews.

PM me for other questions, im glad to help

8. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

big bump but whats a good set up for less than 200 dollars? Compound if possible. Mostly target, possibly get into hunting if possible.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Hoyt > Matthews

ib10pages

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Cam & 1/2 != plausible

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I have a 75# 30" Hoyt Raider.