Anyone have a Blackberry 7100 series?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I don't really want one, because they are kind of weird... but just curious how people like them.

2. adum

adum Wine & Tech

Personally I don't own it but my mom just got one about a month ago (7100t). So far it's been great, web browsing has been very easy, fast, and reliable. Email is flawless and so is AIM. The phone is good but the microphone sucks, many people complain the mic is distorting (or clipping) which I have noticed speaking to my mom on the phone. She did exchange it for another handset and this one seems to not be as bad. The speakerphone is great as well. If your looking to email, browse the web, and text message this is a great phone.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

It was a little different during the first week, but you'd have a hard time talking me out of it now.

Just make sure you buy WebViewer if you plan to do much web viewing on it (I use it all the time), as the built-in browser isn't too great.

VeriChat is also great if you use any IM services. It works with AIM, Yahoo, and MSN accounts (simultaneously) and works quite well.

I'd like mine even better if I hadn't found out AFTER I bought it that my company won't allow non-company owned BlackBerries to connect to their BES server, so I am currently only getting my personal mail on it most of the time. I set up a rule in Entourage to forward all messages with my name in the To: field to my BlackBerry and I'll enable that rule during office hours if I'm away from my desk, so it actually works out better that way since I don't have anyone expecting me to be reading their e-mails when I'm out of the office.

The predictive typing was really annoying for the first day or so until I figured out how it works. It also learns as you type based on the accepted spelling of words that you type, so it gets very useful very quickly. I still occasionaly have to help it out, but I'd say 90% of the time, it works well.

At 240 x 260, it also has a higher resolution display than any other BlackBerry currently on the market (and higher than most other phones of any type on the market).

4. DatacomGuy

Great review, thank you..

Are the 7100's still non-touch screen? Isn't that annoying?

5. maczter

No problem.

No touch screen doesn't bother me since it has the scroll wheel that works well. There are also keys that you can press to scroll up and down a page and home and end (usually 3 and 9 for page up and down). Like I said, it was odd for the first week while I was adjusting to the differences from what I had previously experienced, but now I can navigate my way through everything pretty quickly.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I have a 7100t and I love it. Lucky me, my company allows employee owned devices to use the BES server. The size was a bit of a surprise when I first saw it in person. It's just a tad bigger than a regular phone, and it is a lot thinner that I had expected (fits nicely in a pocket). Browser is OK. It has one of the best speakerphones I've found in a mobile phone. Good battery life too.

My only real beef with it is the fact that voice mails get treated as email, as far as the alerts go, so I miss a VM once in a while not realizing it wasn't just another email coming in. That an no camera. I realize it's a business phone, but that would have made it damned near perfect.

7. maczter

Yeah. I'm gonna have to put up a stink again and see if I can't get on the BES server at work. I thought I was doing them a favor by getting my own phone and paying for my own service. :dunno:

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Just be careful. Once you connect to the BES server, you are at the mercy of their policy settings. They can disable almost any feature with them.

Also you will have 2 network routes, one that goes over the Cell provider's network, and one that goes through the employer network (and can thus be monitored), so you have to be careful which one you use from the phone apps.

9. DatacomGuy

There is always the Treo 650?

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Bigger, more expensive, and runs PALM. blech.

11. DatacomGuy

I agree 100%.. only one with camera though, right?

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea. I don't see BB adding a camera any time soon either, considering their focus is on business users.

13. DINide

DINide New Member

im waiting for the 7100g to come to nextel.

14. giovannii

giovannii Death

You mean 700i.

I had the 700t for a while, the thing I hate about the blackberries is the lack of a touch screen, and the web browser could be better.