A&P Anyone hate their Rebel XTi?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dano, Dec 10, 2006.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I'm a Canon sackrider, I've got an old-ass Powershot A75 that I've just plain had enough of. 3.2 MP isn't shit anymore, and I want to move up on to ze world of DSLR's.

I've got a few friends with them and both say that they're very simple to use, which is why I think I want an XTi. I like Canon's controls moreso than any other company's. (Sony, Nikon, etc)

I'm very open to suggestions on something similar in quality/price range, but I'm really just looking for anyone who doesn't like their XTi and why. I've read enough positives about it, I want to hear some negatives. (if there are any)

2. austincabot

austincabot New Member

The only thing I've heard about people not liking is the size (same with my XT). Some people feel that it's too small and doesnt fit in their hand really well. I have no problem with the dimensions of my XT, plus it's easy to pack for trips.

3. lefty

lefty I :heart: music

I have an XTi. I'll give you my impressions.

Yes, the body is a little smaller. But, I don't find it to be that big of a problem. Yes, I wish it was bigger. But is the size a deal-breaker: no.

The body feels a little plasticy. But, it feels sturdy. I'm not concerned it's going to break or anything.

The viewfinder could be bigger and brighter, also.

I wish I didn't need Canon's software to get pictures off the camera. But, the software that's included does a good job.

On the plus side...

The controls are great. It's very easy to use, very intuitive.

The pictures are great, no complaints there.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It's a good camera for the money.

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The viewfinder on the XT and XTi is even smaller than the 30D which isn't that big to begin with.

I know this just because I looked through somebody else's when shooting a basketball game.

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

The tiny viewfinder was a common complaint I've read elsewhere. That does kind of suck, but I'd need a lot worse reason to go with something else.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you dont

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

d80 > 400d

8. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

you just go into My computer and open up the Camera from there and drag and drop them into another folder if you want to do it without cannons software

9. Nullius

Nullius New Member

i love my XTi, and i love the size even more. i'm not a small dude either (6'2"). i personally can't wait till the tech is such that higher quality pro cameras can shrink down in size

10. mucky

mucky .

Here are a few comments about my XT, which can be carried forward to the XTi. The viewfinder is tiny. It was enough to complain about when I was wearing glasses, but ever since I got my Lasik done, its not as bad anymore. The size of the camera is great IMO, mostly because its good for traveling. I really wish it had a second dial control, but for this price point, I expected that it didnt.

Now for the XTi, the 1 thing I'm really not so comfortable about is Canon dropping the LCD with the aperture/shutter speed/etc... and basically consolidated it all to the main LCD. I hate that decision. Otherwise, the upgraded focusing system sounds pretty cool, but not enough for me to upgrade from the XT.

11. g33k

g33k OT Supporter

I have an xt and I don't like the lack of a mono lcd on the xti. also wtf is up with the green power light. it just makes the cam more digicamy (which is likely what canon wants, to create more seperation in the line up - xti having certain features that are better than 30d). just start off right and get a 20/30d

12. mech|e

mech|e New Member

I'm in the same boat. I've wanted a DSLR for a while now, and now have a chance to get myself a christmas gift...

13. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

no 2nd wheel ftl

14. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

15. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

i have the XT, i love it.... i have small hands though, so I have no complaints about the smaller body.