GUN Anyone had this happen? 1911 question.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ImAcracker, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ImAcracker

ImAcracker Fuck Censorship of any kind.

I have a RIA 1911 that every once in a while I have been having the extractor end up behind the round. In other words it does not end up in that little groove that is on the round. This last time I was at the range I noticed it was only happening on the very last round from the mags. I don't know if it was always the last round the previous times I was at the range. Anyone had this happen before? I've probably only put about 300 rounds through the gun. Perhaps it still needs some breaking in? Pics just for fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I have seen this before. I that case it was lack of cleaning. Have you stripped the slide to clean it? As in, pull the firing pin, extractor, etc, and cleaned in there? Soot buildup under the extractor will keep it from clipping over the rim.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

4. ImAcracker

I bought the gun brand new and I remember it doing this on day one at the range. I did take the gun apart and clean it last night. I didn't take the firing pin extractor ect off though.

Also when you say "soot buildup under the extractor will keep it from clipping over the rim" Do you mean the extractor actually clipping over to the rim as in coming directly from behind the round and clipping over it? Because I thought that extractors were not designed to do this. Am I mistaken?

5. ImAcracker

One mag is a Novak that came with the gun. I dont remember what the brand is of the other mags. I do recall this problem happening on both mags though.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. :)

6. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

Enough gunk under the extractor could keep the round from being able to get grabbed properly as it comes up from the magazine.

Or you might have too much extractor tension.