Anyone got any tips for running v. breathing

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SovietRussia, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

i seem to remember hearing something about a special way to breathe (like inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth, something like that) to better your run. im not running a marathon, or super fast or anything, just some cardio after weights and i run out of breath pretty quick. any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. stevo92

stevo92 Active Member

I think it's the other way around breath through mouth blow out nose.

3. Mippity

Mippity New Member

It makes more sense to inhale through your nose exhale through mouth bc your nose filters the air :dunno:

4. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

the most important thing if you arn't doing it is to take steady deep breaths. if you start to breath ragedly or shortly you are just going to cramp up and actually get less air. There is always that urge to panic and start gulping for breath, but you have to fight it and just keep nice smooth full breathing.

5. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Lot of misinformation here, with a lot of good information. The key to running is rhythm. Believe it or not, strong legs are far less important than good rhythm when it comes to running. You need to inhale and exhale (in nose, out mouth) consistently every time. For example, some people do a 4-4 or a 3-2 pattern which is inhale for four steps (left, right, left right) then exhale for four (left, right, left, right) and same for the 3-2. Personally, I breathe to the rhythm of the song I'm listening to. Others breathe to military cadence type rhythms. Just as soon as your body tells you "Hey, it'd be great to start taking gulps of air right about now", just tell it to shut the fuck up and keep going in through nose, out through mouth. If (when, really..) you get a side stitch (cramp in the side from bad breathing technique), stop running, stretch your abs then apply pressure to where it is. Just run through the pain baby, that's what it's all about.

6. Plan B

Plan B New Member

I just breathe with rhythm and it gets me to the end of my run :dunno:

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

In/In/Out In/In/Out.. rinse and repeat. I don't listen to anything but the sound of my breathing on a run. Distraction only works so well for me, discipline works better.

8. lol wut

lol wut OT Supporter

Anyone else get itchy while running? I think its from the friction of the shorts/shirt rubbing against skin. Any way around that other than wearing tights?

9. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I also exhale only on my left step.

Heard that's best for you but who knows.

10. xela

xela So say we all!

I've heard from long distance runners that the most effective breath is to breathe through the nose and the mouth at the same time.

11. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

I get that itchy feeling too.

My mom always tells me its good because the fat is moving or something like that. :o
    Don't know how true that it is :mamoru:

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Tights would probably be worse, for me. Depends on where you're itching. Are you wearing all synthetic clothing to run?

13. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

:rofl: ya I dont think so.

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I remember reading something about keeping your shoulders back and standing erect to allow maximum lung capacity.

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

running on or next to grass? a lot of people are slightly allergic to grass and it causes them to itch....or it could just be the fabric of your clothes...

16. lemans23

Indeed. Leaning forward is a one-way ticket to diaphragm spasms.

17. lemans23

This is very true, but not many have that kind of control. The easiest way is just to do circular breathing which is also difficult, but nowhere near as bad as compound breathing.

18. Original

Original OT Supporter

Weird I hate doing that.. it makes me restless. Have to have music :hsd:

19. Meeocky

Meeocky New Member

I've heard something about this too. I don't remember what step to exhale though. Is this true?

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

In through the nose filters the air, but in through the mouth allows for more airflow. This is part of the reason they said that Breathe Right strips don't actually improve athletic performance. Sure, they open up your nose, but during heavy exertion you breathe through your mouth, anyway, to allow more air in.

21. akaman

akaman the definition of destruction

I generally run about 30mins - 45min sessions two to three times a week (7-10km I'm assuming). I find it's hard to get good airflow through my nose (my septum is quite deviated), so I don't breath through it through most of my run.

Most important tips:
    a) Breath rhythmically through your run. Keep a steady pace of breathing, no matter what pattern of breath control you decide to use. Personally I take two short breaths in, followed by a long breath out.

b) Exhale more than you inhale. This may sound counter-intuitive, but I find it's the best method to keep your run steady, and your conditioning up. I learned about this through someone taking Yoga, and it has definitely helped my running.

I know some members will counter with the importance of oxygen flow, etc...but it doesn't always work that way in practice. I never ever cramp up, and I can almost always sprint through my last leg of the run. Do whatever you find works best for you.

22. maxlt1

maxlt1 New Member

there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.