Anyone good with email headers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lava Joe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

Please view this header info:
    http://bastardguy.net/upload/files/1/header.JPG

Take a look at the line in the middle highlighted in black where it says reMax Twin City. The user is no long with that realty office, but he says it appears on all his emails when he emails from my company's web app. However, when I log in as him and try emailing, it just displays his email address as the from field, instead of his name - Remax Twin Cities.

Can someone who is knowledgable about email headers tell me if that bit saying Twin City is added by the sending server? or is it added by the recipient's server?

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Why don't you try sending a few emails and answering that question youself.

My gut is telling me it's either a config error for the user, or the translation is being done for internal emails by a global address list that now contains faulty info.

3. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

That has been done, and when received it just displays the from email address....no name no twin city.

If I were to contact the user's email support, what would I tell them to take a look at in order to clear this up?

4. Create

It's outsourced? Fuck it then. Just tell them the symptoms.

I'm often on the recieving end of that call. I listen to what the user says to pick out the symptoms. Tshooters really don't give a fuck what you, the user, thinks the problem is.

5. Create

So, internal to internal is error. Internal to external is no error. Is that correct?

Is your email vendor running an exchange server with a web interface?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's being added by the sender's email service - the receiver has no idea who you are until you tell it. It's all text too - when you telnet a SMTP server, it's looking for: mail from: and an email address. The From field is part of the data section of the email.