GUN Anyone gone through gunsmith training?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gundam, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

My best friend's uncle managed to acquire a bunch of investors to help him build a huge compound that will be used as a law enforcement and civilian training facility. It will contain a firing range and an EVOC course. His first goal is to get a firing range and a custom gun shop up. He's a reserve deputy so he got a bunch of his LEO friends to place orders for custom 1911's. He doesn't plan to open until September, but he already has over $100k worth of orders.

My friend threw out my name since I was looking for a new job. Being a former LEO, and a close friend of the family, his uncle offered me a job. He plans to send me down to san diego to go through some gun smith training and certification. Although I own plenty of guns, I just have basic knowledge in terms of maintenance and operation. I have limited mechanical know-how and have never actually broken down a gun further than a field strip. :o

What am I going to be in for? Anybody else with limited experience go through a gunsmith course/training?

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

So you have no gunsmithing experience and he wants you to start working on 1911s in 3 months? Jesus. Actual schools, like the program at Trinidad State in Colorado, are two years.

This doesn't seem like a very well thought out plan and I would stay the fuck away from it.

3. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Anywhere in California is my answer to that question.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Not to piss in you corn flakes but as others have pointed out you won't be ready to build shit in 3 months... more like years. Not to mention... this dude realizes he will be investing 10's of thousands of dollars in machining equipment & finish process equipment, right? And, even assuming he comes up with a smith by September, he better be ordering frames, slides, barrels & parts for the builds like yesterday or he is going to have a smith twiddling his thumbs while looking out the window for FedEx for several months.

Shenaniguns is on the right track... In terms of having useful/viable skills in 3 months you'd probably be best off to start taking every "armorers" course you can find. These will teach you the operation of the firearm, proper detail stripping, cleaning & assembly, inspection, "debugging", repairs & minor fitting.

These types of courses will give you useful skills that can be applied immediately, lay a solid foundation for you gunsmith training, and give your employer some marketing blurbs... i.e. "Certified Glock/Colt/S&W/whatever Armorer On Staff!"

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

How well do you know this guy?

Honestly, from what you have described, this plan sounds destined to fail. A good gunsmith is also a good machinist, and both of those skills take lots of time to acquire.

Another route you might consider is taking the offer, going through the training, but being an apprentice. Tell your friend he REALLY needs to spend the dough and hire a fulltime experienced 'smith, and use him as your teacher. I would think to honestly make a serious bid at completing that kind of quantity of high-end firearms, he's going to be needing to spend some more dough into getting a nice workshop complete with some CNC goodness.

6. reman

reman New Member

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

What is the name of the school?

I'm sorry, but that is just not even close to realistic. You haven't gone beyond a field strip and he expects you to "build" a custom 1911 for other people?

I think enough has been said, this is not a real estate license, gunsmithing actually requires a good investment in education, internship and experience.

8. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

The only time I ever actually met this guy was on patrol (we were booking guys at the same time). :rofl: He has a real positive mindset, and gets shit done. He mentioned the training facility plan to his family just a few months ago. When I heard about it, I thought there was no way he could get the land and investors for something like this. A short time later, the land was already bought and investors acquired.

The apprentice idea sounds really good. I don't think he plans on having me building guns right out the gates. He is a Sig Certified Armorer so I'm assuming he knows the type of training and time required. He probably already has a real gunsmith or two under him.