SRS Anyone go back to school to get a 2nd Bachelor's Degree?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by woot, Sep 23, 2009.

1. woot

woot wo

I dunno, I just feel really unsatisfied with where my life is right now. I make pretty decent money but I have grown weary of my job. I got a BS in Mechanical Engineering and dropped out of grad school - MSME program. I just realized that I don't have what it takes to get a masters in mech eng. Anyway, the biggest complaint I have right now is that I am pretty my tied to my job and more less the industry. The longer I work here the less and less I become marketable for other industries and even companies since what I do is extremely specified.

I always wanted to travel, live and experience other parts of the country and I just can't do that with something so specified as I am doing now. I was thinking about something like accounting since every city in the country needs a CPA or something else that allow me to move from place to place.

It seems like a waste of time and money since if I did go back to school it'd be another 4 years and more student loans pilled on top of that. Even then I would probably be only making what I am making now. Seems like a bad idea to take on more student loans and miss out on potential promotions and pay raises for 4 years.

I know logically it doesn't make sense but it's slowly killing me in the inside. I have been really unhappy for a few months now.

2. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Yup. Had a BBA in Marketing first and then went back a few years later to get some formal training in fine arts once I found out I had some traction in a graphic design career.

The company I worked for back then was pretty good at letting me adjust my schedule a tiny bit to take one or two classes every semester. Now both my training in marketing and the arts have helped me immensely in my career.

In my opinion if you go back for education in a practical field, it'll always be useful no matter what job you end up with afterward. Something like accounting isn't half bad because in most cases, accounting will be useful for most employers...or even if you apply it towards your own business one day.

If you don't want to suffer giant loans...you could consider taking evening classes while you continue working? A coworker of mine at the time got her MBA that way.

Being miserable in a job sucks. I wouldn't sit around and just take it.

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

So get an engineering job that requires a lot of travel they are out there ya know. I'm a ME btw so I know those jobs are out there b/c people with a family don't want them they're tied down to one location and don't want that much time away. Are you any good at sales? The sales reps I know seems like an awesome job travelling around all the time going to shows in other cities for free, lunch paid, car paid, gas paid, etc

4. dcballer

dcballer OT Supporter

Study petroleum engineering.

5. johan

johan Active Member

I always ask this whenever the question of "more schooling?" comes up.

What do you want to do with your life?

If you just want to learn for learning's sake, then by all means, re-enroll.
    Too often people don't know what it is they want to do, so they consider more schooling.

If you want to get ahead in your field, more specialized schooling may be helpful. Additional general education, such as another bachelor's, while not really detrimental, won't really be directly helpful.

If you want to enter a field that demands specialized knowledge, such as engineering, medicine, law, etc. well obviously you have to start down that path.

For most other jobs however, a second generalized Bachelors degree (arts, most sciences) won't immediately translate into a better work situation.

If you want to travel, why don't you look at engineering firms that specialize in doing foreign projects? It will take some time though.

Obviously, firms won't send new hires to Dubai or Paris to consult, for example. But I do imagine you could quickly be sent to Third World locations to provide expertise on new irrigation canals, wind farms assemblies, water supply stations, etc. Paris and Dubai will come later on...

But I also imagine it will take less time and effort and money, than if you went back to school, got another degree, started off fresh in a new field, and only THEN began in earnest, the long task of climbing the corporate ladder.

6. woot

woot wo

I just don't like engineering work as much as I thought I would during college. I think that's the half the reason, the other being I miss being in college and feel like I missed out on a lot of experiences because I picked a major that was so academically intensive. I know stupid but I want a career change already I know it's only been a year but I just don't like engineering work. I know it's a job and everything but I don't know I have been really stressed lately and over thinking everything. I probably won't go back to school but I really want to. I know it's not worth it as far a career advancement and pay check goes but I always enjoyed number balancing and book keeping.

:hs:

7. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

it wouldnt be another 4 years for a bachelors. most likely everything you took would transfer to any other school so all your lower division and ged ed classes would be covered. 2 years...maybe a little more...maybe a little less depending on how different your 2nd bachelors is from the first. and im pretty much in the same boat as you. i was going to wait until next year to apply to grad school since i didnt want to ask for a letter of rec after only 1 year but i might just apply now. life is not so exciting right now. i hate where i live.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yep.

Got my first BS in accounting in '94. Worked for 8-9 years, took a year off then went back in '04 to get a BS in computer science and graduated in '07 (magna cum laude thank you very much!!) :)

Ok that last part was important to me because I always did just enough to pass. However, in my second degree, I kicked some serious ass for a number of reasons, one of which was to prove to myself that I could do it.

Accounting is anything but easy. You may like bookeeping or transaction analysis but there's a shit load of theory and the work isn't for everyone....and there isn't the rigor of math that you have to have for an ME degree.

Was it worth it? For me, totally!

I spent the first 5.5 years after my first degree being miserable, feeling lost and generally not liking life much. I was often bored at work, despite being swamped/buried under mountains of work and simply didn't know what to do.

I spent many, many nights and weekends thinking about what I would do if I could do anything. The more I thought about it, the more I "tried on" different professions, the more questions I asked and research I did some things started to really bubble up to the surface. One was computers because I've always loved them. So I started studying them at night.

It was funny, I'd come home feeling run down and burnt out and I'd look at my computer books and think, "That's my way out." The more I learned the more I wanted to learn so I started taking some classes at the votech then at the University.

I've enjoyed my journey very much but is it perfect? Hardly. I'm still plagued by stress and have some of the same issues I had while I was working as an accountant. However, it does have some major benefits and one is that that little nagging voice that used to say, "You're not working with computers the way you want" now I can tell it to shut the fuck up. lol

So now, I'm already thinking about my next career. For me, I think sales might actually be fun. Travel, work anywhere and make tons of money.....sales offers all of these.

Anyways, my strongest recommendation is NOT to simply unplug and jump to a new career. If you want to change, make sure you don't fuck yourself over in your current career. Simply start pursuing your dream in your free time and see if your interest deepens. If not...cool cuz you still have your current career. If it does deepen, you'll know and want to take it further. You'll know whether returning to University full time is the right thing for you after some time.

Good luck.

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Coming from an engineer, sorry but accounting seems boring as fuck...stuck behind a desk all day crunching numbers working 60-70 hours a week during tax season. I like math too but that would get old real fast.

10. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

I am currently contemplating the same exact thing.

I had a BS major in college, and i'm not even in the same field. Right now, I am working the "family business" and I hate every second of it. I am looking at taking some certification classes for things that interest me and can benefit me in some way. I have to do it in my free time since I can't just not make some kind of money.

the road will be longer since it wont be the "main focus", but i can't afford to just quit my job and go back to school or take some classes..

good luck to you.

here is one for us. :beer:

11. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

I am 24 years old.. I finished a B.Architecture and now I am doing my Masters in building engineering after not being able to find a good job that I could grow with.

I moved to Montreal and my parents are supporting me and helping me out simply because I don't know any French and I can't get a single job (provincial law requires your interview to be conducted in French). As a result I feel like a failure and a mooch and it's affecting my studies because my self esteem is dropping and my goals are becoming less defined..

Another sad fact is that I never had a gf or so much as a relationship that lasted past 2 dates. People say its ok & that I'll find someone eventually but if I haven't even been intimate with a girl it's difficult to see myself in a relationship.

12. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

Something similar happened to me. I was an mech.e major, and two years in I really got disillusioned with the process, and switched to a double major in a completely different field. I'll go back and finish it up at some point just because its something I am interested in. In your case, already having a degree in engineering puts you ahead of other people graduating with just degrees in x or y. if you go back to school and get a degree in finance or something, the ME will help with career opportunities simply by showing that you have the work ethic to handle difficult loads, and the problem solving skills of an engineering PLUS your new degree.

13. CrispyGame

CrispyGame Stop staring at my avatar.

I'm thinking about it myself, despite my desire not to take on a bunch more debt. I already got an accounting degree, but I feel like I wasted it. I'm realizing that I screwed up. Bad. I got good grades (3.5), but that was IT. I don't even know how I wound up at least getting interviews with some of the bigger firms, but I did. But basically, everything else blew. I had no internships because I got turned down from those. I had no real extracurricular experience due to a prevailing attitude of depression/apathy toward such. And even when I tried to get some (business frat first, then some attempts to get into tutoring/grading), I got turned down. Which made me depressed. All I really had was membership in the accounting club, but so did about 100 others. And when the big interview day(s) came, I had nothing substantial to talk about. I didn't even know how much of a passion for the subject I had left (if any to begin with). I didn't want to 'network' because not only did I not like the idea to begin with, I'd be "networking" against the very students/people that turned me down for opportunities. And I just couldn't stomach it. So I just wanted to just end it as soon as possible, get the degree which at that point I might as well not waste, and get the hell out of there.

It took me nearly 9 months to get any decent office-type job at all, and it wasn't necessarily an accounting job. Or, for that matter, what people might consider a proper "professional" job. I'm realizing that I never really had a professional passion or direction. And the longer I exist like this, the more I panic about this. It's hard enough living among seemingly successful looking people my age who are doing what they were intended to. The people that society didn't shun.

Basically, I just want another chance to do it properly. But first I need a field - or to find passion for one. Now the startup I'm working at does a very specific role that literally no other company does (and I basically just interpret/crunch data for that role), but it might be pointing me more toward a real finance-related field - probably in the investments side. And with a decently strong aptitude toward math, I might want to give a quantitative, math-related field a shot while leaning into the financial sector. But first, I need to salivate that passion. Frankly, I've always been too 'poor' to seriously invest. But I still know quite a bit more about it now than I did before. And that might be all I need.

14. woot

woot wo

so what are you doing now? and how did you get involved in the startup?

15. CrispyGame

CrispyGame Stop staring at my avatar.

Number crunching/entry/googling for an analytics firm. Through a temp agency (so technically, they're my employer).