Anyone familiar with Unison

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gameover, Jul 2, 2008.

1. gameover

gameover New Member

Its a program that lets you download from newsgroups. I just got it installed and am having a terrible time with it, if anyone has used it could you let me know. Thanks

2. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

yeah, i use it. what do you want to know?

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've used it for a number of years. Great program.

4. gameover

gameover New Member

Well i'm having a terrible time finding anything, i have a few friends that use grabit with their pc's and they just type something in and get a ton of results. Is there something else i need to use or am i just not doing something right? If at all possible do you think you could give me a quick run through on how to use the program.

thanks

5. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

use an nzb site. I usually dont refresh newsgroups and shit.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Best way BY FAR is to use .nzb files. Once you get the .nzb file for the download you want you just double-click and it takes care of finding all the files. Best site for them is newzbin.com but membership is required to download the files (costs around 25¢ a month but new enrollment may be closed so you'd need an invite). Search around Google for other NZB sites. Fuck manually searching for files.

7. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i like nzbsrus.com i paid 15 for a lifetime membership i think they are running a special with for 10.

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I tried NZBRUS.com a couple years ago. Newzbin is by far the largest and indexes the most. Plus you get access to Newzxxx.com too. The layout of Newzbin is 100x better then the torrent tracker like setup of nzbsrus where everything is just shown in the order it was uploaded. Newzbin has a ton of other features that make it more powerful like email alerts (set it to alert you when anything with a specific word or phrase is posted), vacation (don't pay for access while you're outta town), hide groups you don't want to see like German or French files, custom groups and more. 25¢ a month is a very small price to pay for what you get.

9. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i tried paying for 16 weeks and that was like 5gbp or 10 bucks so its like 2.25 a month. maybe not worth it for me, ill see. Its a pain in the ass to pay for 52 it says it needs a debit card but i have a visa debit card, shits dumb.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It cost me $8 or so for a year last time I renewed. Looks like it's up to 50¢ a week though thanks to the US dollar being such shit right now. Still well worth it compared to the alternatives.

11. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

I've been using it, and I've been using nzbmatrix.com and I paid $10. But A few days ago, my internet service stopped providing access to the newsgroup server, so now I have to look at a paid version. Does anyone have any suggestions for a free server to use?

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You must be a Time Warner customer. There aren't any free usenet servers other then strictly text ones. I use Newshosting.com and pay $14.95/month for unlimited download with up to 8 connections and 80 day retention.

13. hurleyint1386

Werd. Time Warner blows. I might consider that place.

14. gameover

gameover New Member

I am using newshosting as well and still can't seem to find a damn thing.

15. hurleyint1386

If you are searching their server, you probably won't find much. You need to go to an NZB site and get them kinda like you would with a torrent file. I use nzbmatrix.com try looking through there and download an nzb file, then it will open with Unison

16. gameover

gameover New Member

I will give that a shot.

17. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Exactly. It'd be like searching for a site without the aid of a search engine. Good luck.

18. handiman

handiman New Member

Got it all to work, checked out the nzbmatrix and everything is working and there is tons of results when I search. Thanks for all your help guys.