GUN Anyone familiar with the Bushmaster Carbon 15?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

[​IMG]

A guy says he has that and wants to add a collapsible stock. Only problem is that the receiver doesnt have a hole for the buffer retainer.

2. You don't need a buffer retainer. It just makes assembly/disassembly easier. Once the upper is on the rifle, the carrier holds the buffer back from the retainer anyways.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Thanks.

4. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

God damn that thing is ugly.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My buddy has one of the Carbon M4's. It supposedly takes regular M4 parts, only it's a carbon fiber receiver group.

I like the shit out of it, and have been trying to pry it from his hands. I want to build a lightweight 17" rifle length with one.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Do they need the receiver plate? The Carbon doesnt have pins so there's no detent/spring.

7. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

What's preventing the safety from disengaging? :noes: Not familiar with Cabon 15s at all.

Oops. Nevermind. Just looked at one of my rifles.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I've been thinking about a Carbon-15 lightweight as well, but there are still some problems with the upper receivers. I'll dig up the thread I made on arfcom about it later when I'm at work. :hsd:

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I had a Pro Ord before they sold it to BM.

Got rid of it. :o Too many nonstandard parts/oddities and no real weigh savings over a similar aluminum lightweight.

10. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Reposted from my arfcom thread where I was looking for a stripped C15 upper to put on a CavArms lower for a lightweight build:

Seems that they require much more attention when you're building one and are more fragile than the AL uppers. I still kind of want one, but I'm not sure the trouble is worth the weight saved. Having a <4lb AR would be sweet as hell though. :o

11. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I want to take one of those uppers and throw it on a cav arms lower for a light weight .22 build :o

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I wonder which "model" carbon receivers that guy was referencing?

I've heard similar reports about the older ones, and people running into problems with non standard parts. Supposedly the newest generation (which might actually only be found on the "m4" models) were changed and beefed up. I know that they take accept all standard AR parts. I haven't looked for a while, but when I was asking around I couldn't find anyone who had any real experience with the M4 models (they were pretty new at the time); just a lot of "I have one and have shot 12 rounds through it - it works great!", and "I heard through my brothers cousins uncle once that they suck, and you should buy a Noveske/LaRue gun".

I'd really be interested in seeing if any of the 3-gun (or even serious "tactical" guys) have picked one up, cause I figure they'd be the ones to break it first.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

I asked him to take a pic of his rifle but he didnt reply yet.

From what I read, none of the hard use (or even light use) people recommend the Carbon 15, especially when you can get a comparable one for the same money.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  14. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I've looked through his Gunbroker inventory and it seems like he's selling a different brand of carbon receivers, not Bushmasters. :dunno: I'm going to send him an email and see if I can get some pics and a brand name for the carbon A3 uppers he's selling for $80.

AFAIK when Bushmaster picked the model up they changed everything to standard parts. That being said, someone posted in my thread about the Carbon-15 uppers requiring a unique barrel extension. Again I dunno what to make of it yet.

15. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

As far as a full Bushmaster Carbon-15 goes, there have been reports of some lowers cracking where the buffer tube threads in which is why I'd build off of a CavArms lower instead for their $30 no BS replacement policy. :coold:

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Straight from Bushy's website where the stripped Carbon-15 upper is $160. :ugh: