Anyone familiar with symantec backup exec a little help please :x:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moistfly, May 16, 2007.

1. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Company had some outsourced IT people come in this weekend and do some work which essentially required us to reinstall backup exec and they had no idea how to recreate our old backup/restore jobs :hsugh: And the person that did so originally doesn't work here any more.

... Anyway, I was able to configure the backup jobs easily enough but now when I go to do a restore I'm only getting restore options for the folders, and not files within the folders or files residing on any of the drives ... anyone know what I've configured incorrectly in the restore/backup job that would cause this? :o

2. Create

Create :free at last:

You're trying to restore from an incremental backup tape. You need to load the last full backup tape, then all the incrementals created after it.

3. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

The job type is full - backup using archive bit ... even if I try to run that as a 1 off to get a baseline I'm still only getting folders and not individual files :\

4. Create

Create :free at last:

Damn, I wish I was sitting next to you. I've been using it for years, but set it up years ago. The last time I did anything but flop tapes was when I ran a restore 6 months ago as practice.

I wouldn't mind comparing screenies but like I said, it's been awhile.

5. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I definitely appreciate any help I can get ... there's a pretty good tutorial disc that comes with the software, I'm going to go through that tonight and if I can't figure it out after that I'll throw up screens of each of the config windows and see if anything catches your eye. Thanks :)

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You didn't happen to install from anywhere but the actual CD did you?

Alo, you're trying to restore something you backed up, not previous correct?

7. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Yeah it's installed directly from the CD, ver 10d if it makes any difference.

And I'm not trying to restore anything in particular, I just need to make sure that I created the backup job correctly (everything seems fine except for this fact) in the eventuality that we do have a problem ... I mean, we've at least got all our data backed up now, but every restore job we've had to do in the past has been for 1 file that got erased accidentally or corrupted etc... so it's important we can restore specific files as well :o

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Show me the print screen of the restore window. The problem is probably related to the catalogs - it's either not creating them, or not accessing them directly. Which database method did you use?

9. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

So here's a screen of our restore screen with the left pane expanded all the way. Prior to this problem the pane on the write would expand in a similar fashion all the way down to the individual files, which you could then tick and restore. Hope this helps :)

[​IMG]

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Click on the Resource radio button instead of Media. Besides - you need to actually click on something not just expand the tree. From your view, you hadn't actually click on anything other than the first thing at the top which is All Media

11. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

:rofl: I had the fucking media radio button selected :o

Well, that shit is embarrassing, but at least I had the backup job created correctly :o