WEB Anyone familiar with subversion setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Been tinkering around with subversion all day on local VMWare virtual dev servers..trying to figure out best setup. We've got both IIS and LAMP boxes and a couple remote developers. We run some custom apps, as well as just about every major open source app out there with our own code scattered throughout all over the place in every single one :rolleyes:

My first question is, the repository isn't supposed to be created as the live www folder is it? How are the files in the live www root folder linked to the repository files?

Next question...once it is setup and working, what's the easiest way to checkout and edit the files? Most of us use UltrEdit with all the sites setup in the built in ftp manager, which works really nice and we're all used to it. What would the best alternative to that be? Nano Edit through SSH client aint gonna fly :o.

Linux documentation makes my add kick in. With Windows/IIS (which I'm much more experienced with) documentation, you get pictures! :coold:

2. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

the should not be in the www root. set up a ssh+svn tunnel for svn specifically. i prefer git, but use svn still.

checkouts are easy...one command in terminal

3. ge0

ge0 New Member

First of all, you want to use Visual SVN

4. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

What are you developing with/on? PHP, .NET?

Anyway yeah the repository is the repository, you don't screw with it directly!

e.g.

mkdir /projects/svn
    cd /projects/svn
    svnadmin create ourprojects

Then a good option is install and configure Apache with mod_dav_svn as your access. That way you can also get to your source with http/https in any web browser.

e.g.

Code:
    <Location /svn>
            DAV svn
            SVNPath /projects/svn/ourprojects
            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "Our Subversion Foo!"
            AuthUserFile /projects/.HtPasswd
            Require valid-user
    </Location>

If you guys are on Windows boxes, install TortoiseSVN, it's a very good client with Explorer integration. You can right-click in a directory and do SVN Checkout... , Import.... . It puts icons on source-controlled dirs, and you can do all the SVN commands from context menus.

Then depending on your IDE, you get integration in there (AnkhSVN for Visual Studio, Subclipse for Eclipse as 2 examples)

If you're using Visual Studio, you'll really want the AnkhSVN integration, otherwise refactoring will give you fits.

5. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Now if you want to "link" up the live site, you have a couple of options:

You can have the live site as a checked out, working copy of the subversion repository, and when you're ready to update, you do an svn update on the live site's working copy.

You can also keep the live site clean of the subversion info that comes with a checked out copy, and do an SVN export, which grabs the latest files from the source control, without the source control info.

Both of those are manual, but you can also use the Subversion hooks to get it to auto-update the live site after someone checks into the repository.

Just be careful that you test and audit your source control process and deployment processes to make sure they're secure and run smoothly.

I hope that's all clear as mud.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

who's your host? a lot of them offer free subversion hosting.

7. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

That explains a lot. This is the part I was most confused about. Just about got it all figured out on the vmware servers.

Your posts helped a lot.
    Thanks

8. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

They're private servers with rackspace