Anyone familiar DVR surveillance system hardware and/or software??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, May 14, 2009.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I was asked to look at the computer from a DVR system and see what I could do with it. The damn thing has never run worth a shit in the 4 years they've had it (I used to work there myself).

Machine is a 2.8GHz pentium 4, half gig DDR (PC2700 I think), Radeon VE 7000 video card, and 4 capture cards. I'm wondering if throwing in a new mobo, core 2 duo, and a couple gigs of PC6400 might solve the problems. What kind of hardware does it take to run 16 video feeds sufficiently? (lots of ram? lots of cpu? capture cards themselves have anything to do w/ it?). It seems like a hardware issue to me, but the software their using is called DVR 2400 (version 1.43), not sure who makes it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

btw.....the manual recommends a P4 cpu, and 256MB ram (512 suggested) and 16+ MB AGP video w/ directdraw

of course, this was like 4 years ago :o

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

does that say for 1 capture card or for all 4?
    i'm guessing that the specs is good for 1 or 2 only.

run resource meter (cpu/ram usage)
    upgrade accordingly

either that or the capture cards are shitty

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I've tried that before but the damn thing locks you out of task manager (grays it out) when you start the program. Wonder if it'll launch running taskmgr from dos? I'll give that a shot in the morning.

Doesn't say how many cards those specs are for, that's a good point though. It looks like these things were sold as complete units though, so I'd imagine it's for the whole system :dunno:

[​IMG]

These are the cards (looks like some cheap ass generic cards to me :hsugh:)
    [​IMG]

What are the important specs to look at on a capture card?

if your really bored....these are the manuals :)
    http://www.3sx.com/temp/dvrinstall.pdf
    http://www.3sx.com/temp/dvrmanual.pdf

Thanks a lot for your help :wavey:

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Ram and a fast hard drive are key if you're trying to record 16 streams at once. We have a DVR in our security office here, P4, 1GB ram but it's main drives are 15k rpm scsi drives.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i scanned the manual
    and yeah, it wasn't really specific about the # of cards.
    but since the software supports 16 cameras (channels),.. the 4 card setup, by their recommended specs, should be workable as a package.

i'd still test it anyway.
    one method you could do is take out/disable a card or two,... and see if it changes anything

fyi,... i built my bro's surveillance pc on his store.
    we used an avermedia card. the manual says that it recommends a P4 (minimum),... but they highly recommend a more powerful cpu and more ram for higher res and good fps playback,... or if using more than 1 card (this is the reason i pointed out the 4 card setup).

my bro's system has a q6600, 4GB ram, and a single 16-channel card (PCI-E).
    only 12 cameras are streaming, at 640x480 H.264 res is about 45% load on all four cores.

7. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

bad specs..and a razer gaming mouse...ohhh yeaaaaaa.

is it always recording, or recording only on action? if every camera is recording at once, that might be a problem for those specs.

i.e. the cameras are not recording and they are going 1-2 fps. when there is action, the camera goes into full 30fps or whatever it is and records realtime. if it is recording realtime, all the time on every camera..the comp doesnt seem like it will be able to handle that.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

15k drives are great and all, but 7200rpm drives are just adequate for a dvr.
    key components for a good pc surveillance system should be the capture card and cameras.
    everything else should just be able to support it.

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

this stuff is ~4 years old, P4 was basically top of the line back when that manual was written (at least on the consumer lines).

I'm taking it back up there tomorrow. I repartitioned and formatted the drive, loaded a clean fresh copy of XP, reinstalled the software and reconfigured the camera and recording settings. I'll see how it likes that tom morning (taskmgr will run if you start it up prior to starting the software)

Thanks!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  10. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

that razer is mine :bigthumb:

I'm not sure what settings they were running, someone had already uninstalled the software by the time I got it. In fact, I didn't even know I had it until I was about to pull out of the parking lot and he was like "Oh yea, btw, see what you can do w/ that DVR machine I put in your trunk" :)squint:)

I'm gonna try 7.5 FPS, record only on motion and go from there.

7.5 FPS is acceptable for security purposes imo
    [y]zr6j4pZEYcM[/y]