anyone ever used those powerline adapters?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sfam198, Feb 28, 2008.

1. sfam198

sfam198 John Petrucci Is God

I'm looking for something to replace my wireless setup at home...at least for my one desktop that is upstairs and across the house from where the wireless router is. I am constantly getting a dropped signal due to the distance and interference from other devices (my parents insist on having cordless phones in just about every room of the house), etc. Someone reccomended looking into these as they are a quick and easy way to get a wired connection without running ethernet all over the place (which I don't have the time or ambition to do). In case you haven't heard of them, they are something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181023

Also, on an unrelated note...I bought a new case for my computer yesterday and swapped all my components into it. Everything works great EXCEPT the 2 USB connections on the front panel. As soon as you go to plug something in and it touches the connector, the computer shuts down and restarts. It sounds like it is grounding out or shorting somewhere right before it shuts off. I'm guessing that the connections aren't wired correctly. Unfortunately, I can't take the case back because I bought it on closeout. Any way I can check to make sure that it is wired properly? By the way, this happens with both of the connectors. I have tried flipping the connector on the mobo over. One way it makes the computer restart, the other way it does nothing (no restart, device doesn't work, nothing...) any ideas?

Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they suck, a lot. Spend a day and run cat6.

3. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

They aren't as fast as a true wired network, but they do just fine for internet browsing, small file transfers.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

on your side note, if that case is fucked up, i'd still try to bring it back. returning it because you don't like it is one thing, but getting stuck with a defective product is another. unless it said "as is."