A&P Anyone ever use TinEye?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ov3n, Nov 12, 2009.

1. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

It supposedly scours the web for an image you submit and shows you where it's being used.

www.tineye.com

So far I haven't really found any of my popular flickr photos anywhere. But the site is still new and the database is small.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The URL portion (unless using online photo hosting sites) seems pointless. Why not just pull the logs from your server to see who/where your images are being pulled?

3. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Because what it does is find the image itself when used elsewhere. URL tracking won't help me at all if someone just save-as's it or takes a screen shot.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

i don't get it.

Is it just looking for the image name?

5. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

I too am a bit lost with this.

6. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

You know how Flickr and Google can break down image searches by colors? It's doing this on what appears to be a much more detailed level with your photo.

So say you have a photo, and want to see if someone has right-clicked, save as or even taken a screenshot of it and used it on a website/blog. You upload that image (not a link) to that site and it looks through a database and sees if that image has been used on the internet.

For instance, one of my shots was found on a user submitted wallpaper site. It wasn't linked from anywhere. The image was saved and uploaded to that site.

7. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Does it base it's search on the image name or something? Because theres probably a billion img_xxx.jpg images out there.

8. tenplanescrashing

Unless there is some algorithm that scans the photo and actually is able to scour the internet and do the same, it has to go off of exif/file name to compare it.

I still don't see the benefit.

9. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

That's pretty neat, seems to work well. It's definitely scanning the image and finding similar images online. I searched for my Golden Gate Bridge pictures on my flickr, and it came up with 7 results of pictures that were nearly identical (all taken by other people though).

10. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

You don't care if your work gets lifted? Okay.

Thank you. You understand it.

It's searching for patterns in the image that match yours. Someone taking a screenshot of it won't have a copy w/all the EXIF data, or same name or anything.

11. tenplanescrashing

No, I really don't because anything of great importance isn't put online or is put somewhere you can't spider it.

But that's why I said "Unless it does...." then it is useless and it sounds like it does just what I hoped it would.