Anyone ever use a USB to Ethernet converter?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Alright here is the deal:

I have satellite internet, which sucks because the receiver is usb isntead of ethernet, which means I can't use a router. So I go this converter so I could make it ethernet, and be able to use a router. I tried to test it out, and just hooked the network cable from the computer to the receiver (which had the converter in it) and nothing happened. Then I put the converter in the computer, and did a computer to computer network with the conv. and it worked just fine. Does this converter only work with a computer, or can you hook it to something such as a receiver. It is plug & play so I figured this wouldn't be a problem :hs:

2. MP

MP New Member

Depends on how the converter is built really. If it worked comp - comp then that sounds like it could just be set up as a "patch". Basically that just means they switched some wires around inside. I've personally never had experience with them but see if there are different kinds you can get.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Doesn't Linksys have some cable/dsl modem/routers available with USB? I think they do. That might be an option - run to your favorite computer store and snag one to try out (keep the receipt in case its not compatible).

A friend of mine had satellite 'net access. Him and his roommate tried VERY hard to get it to work with their Linksys cable/dsl router and they had a ton of problems, but I think they finally got it to go (I think). I know for a little bit they just did the Internet connection sharing thing.

4. Evidence.

Evidence. Robot Rock

5. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Ya I know it works fine with Win XP, but will it work on like a internet receiver, that has USB instead of Ethernet?